Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a mackie dlm 8. the speaker was working fine, up

Customer Question

I have a mackie dlm 8. the speaker was working fine, up until recently. It says "Voltage!" and does not work. how can i fix this issue?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects are:
• capacitor leak/failure (least likely);
• cold solder (likely);
• low or missing B± rails from the PSU to the amp board(s) (most likely).
All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get my hands on these items. however I feel like there might be a simpler solution. Like resetting the amp in the speaker or of such issue as that.Anyway what should I be looking for when I do open up the speaker?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great on the DIY!
I beg to differ; the displayed error message "Voltage!" would be as it implies; low or missing supply voltages to the amp circuit.
Preliminary check would be for the presence and consistency of the B± rails from the PSU to the amp board(s)
A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the Mackie by plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.