Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a brand new Bearcat 980 which worked day. After that,

Customer Question

I have a brand new Bearcat 980 which worked for 1 day. After that, it does not transmit, does not raise da bars to reach CAL point, so I cannot adjust SWR although it's 1:1 measured with external device. I already reset the unit and nothing changed. What should I do? Thanks.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
Check for any shorts in the antenna, or try using a different antenna.
Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done all that and everything is OK. I am using another radio with the same antenna and the SWR meter indicates 1:1 within the entire frequency range of the 40 channels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is within the radio.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then it seems the RF circuitry may be defective and it will require a repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete.... thanks so far from your answer, but as an engineer, I expected something with much more details, because I already know there is a problem with RF circuitry. There are pictures already available in the internet which everyone can look at, so I really expected thet you could point out where this circuitry is and if it's possible to be repaired or not. My fear is the main modulus and if this is defective or now, so if you say that the problem is only the RF circuitry, then I will open the radio and get it repaired. Mind you that I am outside USA and warranty services are far from being reached, so I am on my own and this is why I am in touch with an Expert.
Kind regards
Jose Aranha
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It isn't possible to point out which part of the circuitry may have failed without carrying out detailed diagnostic checks using test equipment and schematics.
If you have these available then I can post some further instructions for you.