Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

I have a 30-year old boat with a Furuno radar. The radar

Customer Question

I have a 30-year old boat with a Furuno radar. The radar turns on, the screen shows the sweeping arm and background dots all over the place. It seems like everything works except that it doesn't discriminate in any way. Is this something that I or a electronics
pro can easily fix?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is one that really needs to be checked. If it was kept out of the elements as best possible. There is a good chance it can be fixed and for not much.

Usually what causes this to happen is dried out electrolytic capacitors and they cost only a few bucks each. You will need a few of them of different values.

But you can take the head unit to a marine shop local to you for this repair, mos will send it out and have this done. If you have a West Marine you can check with them on this;-)

Please rate kindly at this time, I will then be able to remain with you in case you need further information.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael