Russell A.
Russell A., Technician
Experience:  30 years of broadcast television, technical and engineering experience.
24675295

I have a Canon T5 Rebel and I have not dropped it or

Customer Question

I have a Canon T5 Rebel and I have not dropped it or anything, I just recently cleaned it and the attery is fully charged, but it will not turn on. When I try to turn it on, there is a red light that goes off just once. I really need some help as to why its not turning on??
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell A. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried turning the camera on with the memory card removed? If not, please do so, and if it powers up please let me know. If not, try a hard reset below:

Remove the battery, memory card and lens (use the body cap to protect the mirror area). Switch the camera ON. Allow it to sit idle for 1 hour. Switch the camera off. Insert the battery, memory card and remount the lens and try it out. If normal operation is not restored then the main circuit board has a faulty component in the power supply section and the camera will require professional service.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the sd card out and it would take a picture but still the screen was off.
Expert:  Russell A. replied 1 year ago.
OK. I understand, I was under the impression that the camera would not power on at all. Will the screen show information is the menu button is pressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it will not. After i took everything out and left it for and hour and put it all back in, it still doesnt turn on.
Expert:  Russell A. replied 1 year ago.
Press the INFO button a few times and see if the display illuminates.
If not, check the small sensor at the bottom of the viewfinder eyepiece for some foreign piece of dirt or something that is blocking it and making it think that your eye is at the viewfinder.
If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate or solves your issue, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.
Thank you