Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a JVC rx950v. Lately only one side of the speaker

Customer Question

Hi, I have a JVC rx950v. Lately only one side of the speaker output works without crackling, and the other side seems to cut out if I turn it up much. Any help?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, have you tried swapping (temporarily) how the speakers are connected (left and right) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the speaker wires connected one way for years with no problems, I only moved them recently due to the issues at hand. I need to know what components are failing, and how to replace them. Is it capacitors?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The above would serve as tests:
• in so doing would allow checks of the wire / connections;
• determine /eliminate if it is a possible speaker caused;
• confirm that it is indeed a JVC fault.
Either way, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a fluke and soldering iron. This JVC unit was my deceased fathers and I don't intend to throw it away.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great on the DIY!
A final test; try a pair of headphones. Determine if 1 (only) channel is still "...crackling...cut out if I turn it up much..." You may have to do the plug-in/unplug a couple of times.
Similarly, exercise the SPEAKERS 1 & ON/OFF buttons. Do the same for the TAPE1, TAPE 2 and TAPE2 DUBBING.
When able, post back with clear closeup pictures of the internal circuit boards particularly the parts attached to the heatsink.
Thanks.