Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Denon 3312CI that keeps going into protect mode.

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a Denon 3312CI that keeps going into protect mode. Even with everything but the power disconnected it still has the problem. Is there anything I can do to try & repair it, or does it need to go to a repair shop? I am a marine engineer with good electrical knowledge and capable of using a soldering iron. Thanks
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, have you considered / tried a RESET?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes I tried a reset, but same thing happens.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand and yes; an non-corrective RESET would confirm an internal hardware issue.
Have you tried measuring the voltage(s) at the speaker terminal pair? ...1 pair at a time? ...after unplugging / plugging back-in and attempting to turn ON (before auto-protect kicks in)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not, what should I be looking for? I'm guessing there should be no voltage if there is no input to the receiver, If I have voltage with no input then there is a bad channel?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Basically yes. This is a "workaround" test, not conclusive but would be indicative. If there is a voltage reading, then it would indicate that the (output0 transistors for that particular channel has faulted.
On the otherhand, no reading does not guarantee that the transistors are good.
Of course, the best / prescribed approach would be to test all the output transistors out-of-circuit.
Do you have a copy of the Service Manual or even at least the schematics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Access to Manuals/Schematics unfortunately. I had <100mV on all channels at around half volume.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
I was expecting 1 or 2 but not all. This may be indicative of another fault rather than an output transistor issue.
Please check ALL the 3-terminal voltage regulators for poor/cold solder and/or low/missing output voltages. Also visually inspect any/all power/filter capacitors for bloated tops.