Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have an Olympus DS-2500 digital voice recorder. I have

Customer Question

I have an Olympus DS-2500 digital voice recorder. I have used, and recharged regularly, the original batteries. Recently, however, when I attempt to recharge the batteries, it displays "cannot charge". I thought that perhaps I had used up the batteries, and replaced them with new Ni-MH rechargeable batteries, and I still get the same message. Any thoughts?
Phil
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

You are entirely correct in saying that the batteries can become used up – all rechargeable batteries do fail over time. They have a limited lifespan. So, replacing them should have worked but there are couple of things to be certain of. First is that the batteries themselves are good. Simply sitting in stock somewhere will cause rechargeable batteries to eventually become useless. We see this a lot on batteries that get less frequent sellthrough than current products that are very popular. For example, we rarely would see that on a galaxy S5 smart phone battery, but many galaxy S 2 smart phone batteries that come through and go to customers and up need to be replaced. I would make sure that if Olympus offers a battery that you have their original battery. And, you should be able to test these batteries if you have a multimeter. What you would want to see is that there is at least a volt of electricity still in the battery. That's about what it needs to be recognized by a smart charger. If there isn't, then the battery has been run completely flat. You can sometimes recess at Tate it by connecting terminals of another battery to it just to force enough charge into the battery so that it will then be recognized. Another option you have is to plug in the device to a USB port on a computer overnight. Although the charge from a computer is very slow – only 500 mA, it is not the equivalent of a smart charger and it will trickle charge all night whether the batteries detectable or not. That will sometimes allow you to charge a battery that is otherwise not chargeable. Please let me know if you still questions.