Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

How do I test a rosewill Hercules 1600W power supply. It is

Customer Question

How do I test a rosewill Hercules 1600W power supply. It is a new one that I've had for just under a year but never used. When I plugged it up I get nothing. I have a yellow light in the back, but when I plug my tester on to it it just turns red that shows a no load. I tested it after it wouldn't power up the computer. Is there something special about it fo it to power up properly or is it possibility a bad PSU?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I find that description of symptoms puzzling. Some suggestions, to narrow the puzzle down a bit:
1. Make sure your voltmeter doesn't have a problem! test something else for voltage with it to make sure.
2. If the case lighting doesn't come on, is there any of it that is a 'pilot light', i.e. that doesn't require a signal from the initializing CPU ? because some hard drives nowadays only spin-up when the CPU answers back to them.
3. Another possibility: your have a defective or frozen-up CPU in the computer. It doesn't initialize, the power supplies may not get a full-power-on signal. This may sound dead wrong - but some TVs are like that, the logic board must signal the power supply to go-ahead with some of the critical voltages. (Admittedly a TV has a lot more different voltages in it than a PC, which generally has only 3 voltages and ground, I think... classically, anyway. But even so, it's a thought.)
4. once you have made sure your voltmeter works properly, try hooking it up to the Hercules power supply's output, before turning the Hercules power supply On. Does it register anything, even briefly? a surge of voltage? on any of the voltages the Hercules supplies. If not, well, you could have a bad power supply.
5. make sure the power switch, that turns On the power supply/supplies, is functional! a bad power switch, if you have a On power switch that is a pushbutton on the case, not a rocker switch on the Hercules (or the other one), it could be defective, and not signaling the power supply/supplies to switch On at all.
Your volt-ohm meter, set to resistance, hooked up across the output terminals of the power switch, once that switch is unhooked from the power supply and/or the case, should indicate whether that switch is working or not.
There may be other possible things to check... but tell me what you find out, and what you think, of the preceding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already done all that. I'm using an actual PSU tester that connects the the 24 pin lead from the PSU. I know the tester is working because I tested it with a good known working PSU and it was functioning correctly. I was just hoping that their was something in the design of the Hercules that required some special attention to be payed to like a specific power draw. But I guess not.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it's true, some power supplies don't like a no-load test. But my impression in general was that those sorts of designs are long defunct, early 80s vintage at latest.
I admit I lack specific knowledge of the Hercules you have. It seems to me that something in the rig is 'broken', but I'm not sure what, I must admit.
In case another Expert has more specific information, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts. But, if this completes the case as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Different expert here.Are you having a problem with the supply itself?Or did you simply want to test the outputs?Also what does the supply do now that you know of and how old is it?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its with the PSU itself.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that,What is it doing or not doing as far as IN or output voltage is concerned?Also what are you planning to use this for?As much detail as possible would be helpful so I can give a good full answer to your question.Things like how o test the outputs etc, or did it not seem to work on something you tried to power up etc.ThanksTech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.