Russell A.
Russell A., Technician
Experience:  30 years of broadcast television, technical and engineering experience.
24675295

My Kodak easyshare touch m5370 5X 16 pix charged put will

Customer Question

My Kodak easyshare touch m5370 5X 16 pix charged put will not take a picture when I push the button states lens obstructed...in addition lens will not go back in camera.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My first inclination is to assume that a lens error is the problem itself, but first, there is one more likely possibility, lack of sufficient power. Remove the batteries, check the pins or connectors in the battery compartment, and make sure that they are positioned correctly to contact each battery. Then use a q-tip with alcohol to clean and dry them. It is also a known issue that digital cameras circuitry can also become much more sensitive to the lower power level produced, so It is a known issue that digital cameras tend to require a little more power as they age due to deteriorating parts and surface residue. Lens movement uses the most power. That is why the connection is so critical. *** The only power suggestion that I have, other than cleaning, is a new battery. If the above does not solve the issue please continue as it is very likely that the problem is a lens error. Even if the lens extends, it is quite possible that it does not make it to the correct sensor point due to an obstruction like a grain of sand or residue build up. A lens position error will halt the camera start up process. Lens errors are a common problem. Dirt can get into the gears or the lens can become misaligned from being carried in pockets, purses or at the beach. With newer cameras I am usually hesitant to suggest these options since they include some more extreme procedures that may cause further damage if not done correctly, but they may save you an expensive repair bill. The two links below give step by step DIY instructions on troubleshooting and attempting to fix this problem. ***A Canon camera is used to demonstrate these procedures but, the lens structure of these compact cameras is the same so the examples do apply to this unit.*** These procedures are effective about 60% of the time. Copy and paste the links into your browser. http://www.e18error.com/repair.html http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/fixing-lens-error-on-digital-camera.html If the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out and you need conventional repair suggestions & a value assessment please let me know. Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied. If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent. Thank you