Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

In January 2015, I bought a BDP2100/05 on ebay. As promised

Customer Question

In January 2015, I bought a BDP2100/05 on ebay. As promised by the seller, it was sealed in its manufacturer's box, clearly virgin. We initially wanted it to play blue-ray discs, which it does perfectly. But on CD and DVD, it frequently drops sound and somewhat less frequently, the picture. I have updated the firmware to 2.20, used a cleaning disc a few times, and am now looking at the drive wondering whether the lens assembly or the whole drive could be replaced. There's clearly not much wrong with it, but it isn't worth spending a lot of money at eg a repair shop. It is out of warranty. What are my options?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially and if have not been done, consider/try a firmware upgrade. Please see the link below if the Philips BDP2100 is intended for the United Kingdom.
http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/BDP2100_05/blu-ray-disc-dvd-player/support
If still a no-go, then it would point a weak CD/DVD optical pick and it may be to your advantage to bring this to the attention of the seller.
Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As noted in the question, I have already updated the firmware to the latest, version 2.20.
I cannot claim against the seller. He supplied the unit he promised, an unopened box.
He did not have the purchase data (I asked at the time), so the unit must be treated as "out of warranty". It seemed a reasonable gamble at about a third of the new list price.
One option might be to replace the whole drive (easy) or the optical assembly (doesn't look too difficult). Do you know how either of these might be obtained?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately , no as the Service Manual is not readily available in my current location.
Let me re-open the question by opting out. Hopefully another member could provide an alternate approach to your concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks for your time.Mike