Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

Recently replaced backup battery in Concord 4 Security System

Customer Question

Recently replaced backup battery in Concord 4 Security System - battery trouble status gone, but now get "siren" trouble status. Tested siren and it works. Also, ready light will not come on. How do I clear trouble status and get ready light back on?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.Do you have the user manual?Also, what is the full model # ***** your alarm system? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
part numbers on the manual say(###) ###-####95R,(###) ###-####95R,(###) ###-####
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that.How old is your security system?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 years
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,Try this for me,Unplug the power to the system or turn off the circuit breaker to the box.Then remove the battery.Then wait 10 full minute and re connect the battery, next power up the system by plugging it back in to AC current. That will perform a complete reset of this system.Let me know if you still have this same exact condition or if anything is different or it now responds. You will need to re program passwords and go through the set up on this again.I will stick with you so that if this doesn't work, you can contact me again by simply replying to this message. Please rate kindly at this time.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did this already. System was powered down overnight and battery backup was removed. Same status in morning when plugged back in.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. unfortunately this indicates a problem with the main board.Due to its age certain components fail in this way. Once power is removed then re applied, the part will fail due to stress from hot to cold then hot again. Thats why its a good idea to leave all electronics connected to power as much as possible.They will last longer, just a tip;-)But thats what has happened here, you would need a new main board for that system.I can check to see if that is available for you ir you may want to replace that system if you dont have the electronics experience to do this. I would help if you do want to see if there is still a supply of those boards.ANyway please let me know on that. Also please rate kindly at this time, it doesn't cost you anything more and you will be able to reach me anytime by replying to this message. I will stick with you until you have a workable solution. I wish I had better news for you on this I really do.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is it costing me for you to tell me you can't help? The system works. The siren works. The only thing wrong is the trouble alert that won't clear. I need a new mother board to clear an alert?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am helping you because you didn't know that your error requires a new main board. When you informed me that you already did what I was asking as troubleshooting step the results were indicative of a failed component on the main board that is not available separately unfortunately. I am only here to help in any way I can.I have been a technician working with these alarm systems for over 30 years so I am sure of my diagnosis. I wish I had better news for you I really do, but that part needs replacing. i will still work with you to get a new one if they are still available.Just let me know if you want o go that route or replace the main system box?ThanksTech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't answer my question: how much for what you have done so far?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the cost remains the same as what you already paid Just Answer $15., I am an independent tech and we work per call and only receive a portion of that amount. But once you rate kindly, then you can contact me anytime for advice as you make the repair;-)
Hope that helps, i hate giving bad news but its part of my job, I know these systems very well and that is what makes it great because I can help people who otherwise wouldn't need to pay I tech to do the work for a lot more money. I just try and help but these are technical issue and patience is required to solve them.
Thanks for understanding.
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If $15 is the answer, then I don't have a problem. However, that is not what I paid Just Answer. How do I verify the $15? I appreciate your position as an independent contractor, but please appreciate my position that telling me to unplug my system and then re-plug it is not worth a lot. I know I am paying for your 30 years of experience, but I have zero years of experience as an electronics technician and I knew enough to do that.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I completely understand lol.I don't get nearly that much. I like to help my customers in the best way possible. Sometimes its tearing into something to find a defective or burnt out parts and I help them do the task until they have it done. But sometimes, I have to go through some troubleshooting with them. In your case there really isn't anything else that could be wrong I have done so many of these myself through the years and am sure of the problem. In your case I will elaborate a bit there are IC's on that board that store instructions in digital format, over time these IC's can lose a programmed cell if that happens the part fails and the instructions get mixed and the program cant complete The output in your case is siren etc stuck.The part is only a few dollars but requires electronic soldering tools and experience and one final thing...that part isn't available any longer. I hate to tell you that but I wont lie just to get a nice rating. I think of it like going to the Dr, and sometimes just sometimes the news is bad. What can I do lol. I really do understand and have thought this through thoroughly so the best option is to replace the board if available. I will check on that for you if you like? Let me know on that.I only get paid a fraction of that fee when you rat in a positive fashion. If you rate my service poorly for example, I get nothing and worse yet my reputation as respected technician is tarnished.Please when rating do not rate the outcome but rather the service I have provided, i will still be here for you at no additional cost until a reasonable solution is found and in place working as it should it you are willing?I hope that helps explain?Thank you for your time and understanding and have a great evening,Tech Michael