Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a 65738 dlp. has work good years. picture got

Customer Question

i have a 65738 dlp. has work good for 5 years. picture got dim so i replaced the bulb.when started it ran good with brite picture for 60 sec and then picture went to black and white with surging sound and flashing screen. replaced the bulp with a new oem and same thing. replaced the color wheel with a new oem and set ran for 30 min with no problems. then returned to same problem. get faint lines in blue screen befor goes to black and white andstarts the surging sound.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. Does the sounds that you are hearing sound like a squealing sound? Because if it does, it would indicate a problem still with the color wheel. It would be my opinion that the lamp probably not giving you an issue this early. The system is protected against excessive heat and if there were enough heat in the system to hurt the lamp it should turn off. And you've also already ruled out the possibility of another bad bulb. I would concentrate on the color wheel. First make sure that it's the exact the same one that came out, and make sure that all the wires are attached to the board where they were. I believe this is one of the sets where the color wheel wiring is in the mainboard through the back of it and it's very easy to damage this tiny cable when you're taking that out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still have same problem. Went into setting mode and energy when surging was going on and change from standard to brite and it stoped and restarted after a few seconds, then I went back to standard and it stop for several seconds and then surged again.
switched bulbs and simptons were the same. Does the ballast give constantant power to the bulb or is it variable? Can the ballast cause such a problem?
Yes, the ballast can cause this problem and although it isn't common, since you've tried multiple lamps and they do the exact same thing, the next thing I would suspect is the ballast. It should supply a voltage to the lamp that ramps up when it first starts and then evens out. The ballast basically regulates the voltage to the lamp. Without a ballast on this type of lamp, the current draw would just continue to increase until it burned out... at least theoretically. In practice, the ballast in a projection system CAN be bypassed, but you are taking quite a risk by doing it.