Neil, Engineer
Experience:  NZ Certificate in Engineering Electronics & Computing 25 years exp
15873252

I have problem using my NUVI 3597.The first 2 - 3 hours

Customer Question

I have problem using my NUVI 3597.
The first 2 - 3 hours of use it is OK but after that period it become unpredictable, showing erratic conditions and in one case an average speed of 512 Km / hours.
To continue using it I need to stop it and restart it 15 minutes later : then it is OK for an hour or so.
It is also getting unusually warm.
Please advise what to do.
Thanks
Dr Andre XXXX
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
The Nuvi has a hardware problem, possibly with the processor or accelerometer.
It will need to be returned to a Garmin service centre for repair.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
HiFrom your symptoms this could be one of three things...1. A worn out battery - If the battery fails it can draw excessive current and over a long period of time the vehicle lead voltage will sag causing the unpredictable operation2. A faulty vehicle lead - If the lead is putting the wrong voltage to the unit it can cause the battery to over charge then sag as above3. Car regulator failure - Can cause the vehicle lead to overheat then sag.Of the above 1 is the most likely but 3 can quickly be eliminated by using a different car so would try that first... You can buy kits that include the necessary screwdrivers to replace the battery..
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Battery-3597LMTHD-Navigator-361-00070-00/dp/B00DM5V4BO/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440877156&sr=1-16&keywords=3597lmt+battery