Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

I purchased a Humminbird Helix 5 DI-GPS system. I like the

Customer Question

i purchased a Humminbird Helix 5 DI-GPS system. I like the features but it takes 15-20 minutes to locate position for navigation and to load the maps everytime i turn it on in my boat. any suggestions?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi good morning. That sounds excessive to me for sure.I would exchange that one especially since you just received it.Its still fully covered under Garmin's warranty;-)It shouldn't really take more that say 2 minutes for this on an initial start up. And even thats a long time.I hope this helps.Please remember to rate my service kindly before you go and have a great day! Please let me know I can be of any further assistance.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its already on the boat. It's a setting that has to be changed. Not taking it back.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I would agree there are changes that can be made, but the amount of time you are having to wait will not improve much at all in the condition your unit is electronically. I have over 30 year of experience with Marine electronics and many others lol. I build robots that use the same one for position control.I understand the unit is in the boat, It would either need to be removed, (just the head unit) as that part is all thats defective. Or repaired on site.Please call Garmin's Warranty Repair DEPT for this GPS unit:Phone:(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####et me know if there is anything else I can do for you?Thank youTech Michael