Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

The tuner on my Ovation Celebrity's up & down arrows just flash

Customer Question

The tuner on my Ovation Celebrity's up & down arrows just flash on alternately, up, down, repeatedly - with no sound to amp. The battery's good. What's it doing?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is this a semi acoustic model? You only said it was an Ovation Celebrity but there are many different models in that line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's acoustic - electric , a 44 E , I think
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you try a different cable? If the same thing happens can you try a different amp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already eliminated all those possibilities, took the whole thing apart & checked for loose wires, etc. Just no sound.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You checked the volume control wiring and the tuner wiring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately then I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then don't charge me.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Different expert here,you wont be charged for that.How old is your Celebrity unit?Also was it working what seemed to happen when it failed?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's 5 - 8 yrs. old. It seemed like it started with pushing the tuner button; it began making a rattling sound when you hit a string. Then soon the tuner quit working & then no sound to amp.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. This usually means there is a short. It could be internal and we will get to that if we need.But as for the amp.Please un hook all speakers etc and then see if you still have the issue with the display lighting the arrows as it is doing?Let me know the results of this please dont jump ahead ;-)Thank youTech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even unplugged, the tuner alternately flashes up & down arrows.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that. This unfortunately has a shorted amp IC or accompanying transistor.This will need some in depth testing to determine the cause exactly.If you have some electronics tools and can solder well, please let me know and we can go further. if not you will need to send this one in for repair. I wish I had better news for you I really do.But let me know if you can do this type of work. If not though, let me know and I will see where the best shop is for this repair for you.Please rate kindly before closing this page and have a great afternoon!Tech Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am on the road with few tools, & not much soldering experience. Anyone in SW Colo, say Montrose or Durango you know of who could fix it?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks, ***** ***** my database but don't see anyone I know that I can recommend sorry for that.I wish I did,But if you check locally any I know they have audio shops one can help you with this.This shouldn't be expensive either I can tell you that much.I'm here if you need me or want me to check on anything else with this. the soldering is pretty precise on this one, so its best to have an experienced tech make this fix as its very easy to damage the electronics.Thank you and have a nice afternoon. Tech MikePlease rate kindly;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the heads up on shouldn't be too expensive. That's good news!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
LOL;-) I 'm happy to help.Have a good one and I will be here if you need me further after you rate my service.Tech Mike;-)please rate kindly.