Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Sony NEX5N. I used it today, took the SD card out

Customer Question

I have a Sony NEX5N. I used it today, took the SD card out to download picture, went to put the card back in and it said no card. Tried again and realized it wouldn't click into place. Figured out that somehow a tiny piece of plastic on the card broke off inside the slot. I could see and flipped it over thinking it would fall out; it did not and I can no longer see it. SD card still doesn't click. I am so upset! I just got a brand new lens today! What do I do? Or where can I go to get it fixed? I live in a small town so my resources are kind of limited.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. That sounds like an unfortunate and bothersome thing to have happened. A piece of an SD card does not often break off. I suspect that rather, a piece of plastic inside the SD card slot broke off, a part that 'latches' the card in place when it is inserted. Either the piece that broke off will have to be fished out of the slot with tweezers or other fine instruments, or else the camera may have to be disassembled, and/or the memory card slot part of the camera replaced. As to where it can be done for you - there is a way to find the nearest Sony camera repair facility near you: https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do The form with three entries under 'New Repairs' should help you locate a repair location near you. Or perhaps, a place to send the camera to after packing it up in appropriate packaging.Also the form will give you an estimate on the cost of the repair. If you need any other advice, let me know, please, and I will advise you further. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a piece of the SD card; it's visible when looking at the card. I will check that site though. Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well... if you don't see the piece, and *if* you have very thin tweezers that could reach into the memory card slot... shake the camera gently, until the piece is back in sight, where you can see it.
Remove the battery from the camera! it must be powered Off altogether with no power source at all, at this point - because tweezers are metal and you will be reaching into the slot with them, possibly touching metal inside!
Reach into the slot and remove the piece - without bending contacts, metal pieces, breaking the slot cover, breaking anything. That's all you have to do. Get the piece out without damaging the memory card slot, see if things work again - use a cheap memory card with nothing on it that you value, or a small cheap new blank, to test the slot first! I strongly advise.

Let me know what you do, what happens, please.

And if this completes the case as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer. Thanks.