Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

I just purchased the Nuvi 66LM (I'm 85) and find it very difficult

Customer Question

I just purchased the Nuvi 66LM (I'm 85) and find it very difficult to operate. Are there any brief (vs pages and pages) instructions on how to make it work. Also the charge doesn't last long at all. At this point I'm only interested in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Your help would be appreciated.
Irene
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Irene and Welcome to Just Answer, First, may I ask if this is the FIRST Garmin product you have used or owned?I only ask because they can be a little confusing AT FIRST, but are really very simple - once you "get used to" a couple of main screens.Next, would a video or two - showing how to use these main screens be helpful to you? And regarding battery life - these units are DESIGNED to be used IN a vehicle - while connected to vehicle power. So the battery is specified to last "up to 1 hour" - on a full charge. This is usually enough time to program a destination or two while at home - once you get used to doing that kind of thing. But it is not designed to be used for a "long time" when not connected to the vehicle power adapter. Please let me know about your previous use of Garmin devices (if any), and if the videos would be helpful. Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
HI again,I didn't see a response to my for post, but I wanted to send the following information before I sign off for the night. I have a some links to videos that may help you "get to know" the device a little better. Please take a look at them at your leisure (take your time) and then try some of the things that are shown in each video. And feel free to look at these at any time in the future. Video 1, First time use of the Nuvi 66LMT --> Click HereVideo 2, Map screen Overview --> Click HereVideo 3, Where To screen --> Click HereThose are just three of the MAIN things you will need to know to START using this device. There are MORE features and functions, and you may see those listed on the side of these videos - as you want them. But I recommend you "take it slow" if this is the first device from Garmin that you have used or owned.Also, if you have a higher power AC adapter (1 Amp or more) that has a USB connector, and is rated at 5 volts DC, you MAY be able to use that that AC adapter to power the device while indoors. This is DIFFERENT from connecting to a computer, as computers are lower power (usually 0.5 Amps or less) AND have "data lines" that cause the device to go into "storage device" mode when connected to a computer (and NOT normal operation mode). Please give these videos a look and then try the same features on your own device. And please let me know if you have any more questions. I'm here almost every day to help. Thanks, ***** ***** (im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)