Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Have pioneer elite vsx74txvi...other night it stopped dead.

Customer Question

have pioneer elite vsx74txvi...other night it stopped dead. macc lite flashed in orange...turned off...unplugged same...read online ot reset by holding the AV button and enter for 5 seconds...did that....macc light off...but now only blue power button comes on
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, a non-corrective RESET would almost always be indicative of internal hardware issue(s).Have you tried the Pioneer with no speakers/wires connected and volume lowest? This would serve as a test/elimination of the speakers as potential cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing showing up on the screen of the receiver whatsoever besides the blue dot on the power button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see any settings, or volume level or anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
????
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand. As above, have you tried / attempted to turn on again the Pioneer but with no speakers connected? ...and attempt again a RESET while still with no speakers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes tried it.
Is the correct reset tonpress and hold adv surroundvbutton sndventer at same time for 5sec?...did not work
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The prescribed user RESET is shown HERE.Was this procedure followed? (sorry but please confirm)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried above. Reset never comes on...there is nothing on the screen. (Speakers are unpugged)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other steps. I tried the sbove 3 xs.
I also tried above and followed ea step even though it never lit up as described to go to the next step
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand. And as posted above, the RESET would not be corrective of an internal hardware issue and thus is confirmed. I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have soldering iron. No clue whst to do.
Tge amp has been used but not even weekly. It is a gsme toom part room amp.
If we are looking to get a new tv 4k ultra hi def...should i get new reciever vs repair?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Nice plan. Then would you consider trying the technician's RESET ? (different from the user's RESET). Though this is a 2-bladed try; either it fixes if it were just a glitch or some components would fail causing other damages. Would you be comfortable proceeding?This would serve as a "brute" attempt of a fix and as a test for further diagnosis or replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the brute fix attempt?
I have a hi fi guru who csn help with the directions
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
It is similar to the earlier posted reset procedure except different buttons. But again either it fixes it or the fault(s) would manifest themselves further.Should you venture to try, then please click HERE.Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Per our conversation at first i already tried that before i called u
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Thanks; just confirming.Based on all of the above, then internal repairs would be required.Would you proceed with the DIY repairs? ...and a multimeter available?Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can have a friend try andvrepsir it with the info unprovide. If not eorkni buy new. Ugh. Not get many hours out of this reciever
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand and again ;sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.Possible suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:• cold solder or thermal issues (least likely);• auto-protect mode is kicking in due to a faulty component (likely);• low or missing secondary voltage of the power supply (most likely).Can you please inquire from the "...hi fi guru..." if he can start checking the output transistors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will ask him...he used to work.magnolia hi fi. Based on whatnu said he thinks it can be fixed for 250max....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He thinks yourv2nd choice of auto protect stuck on due faulty comp...or and viltage supply
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great on the DIY!Proposed preliminary checks on:• ~+10V at input pin of regulator IC3061 of the primary/standby power supply;• +5.6V at its output pin;• 0V at collector of relay switching transistor Q3061 when attempting to turn on;• and ~+3V at its base also when attempting to turn on. A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the Pioneer be plugged in and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution. Passive test with the unit unplugged; test all the output transistors.