Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a 46 inch Samsung hp-t4254 model. turns on. makes a

Customer Question

I have a 46 inch Samsung hp-t4254 model. turns on. makes a Nintendo sounding noise and wont turn on screen
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,First place to check is the power supply board - if you have a voltmeter available, test the voltage outputs and confirm back if they are correct, or if you discover any discrepancies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what voltages and where?? I am not a tv technician but I do have a fluke 88. I am not home atm but If you could direct me on where to go I can test the parts. thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you are gonna need some training in working near high voltages if you plan to attempt this yourself - the safest option would be to have a TV repair tech look at it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. So can I speak with someone else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No phone call. I want a different tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I repeat no phone call. I'm not paying for this. I want a different tech. I'm not paying for someone to tell me to go to a TV repair shop!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello??????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an admin available????
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you have requested another tech, so your question has been returned to the question pool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good. Hopefully I get someone who trys to help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You suck pete. you charged me $18 for nothing. You are most certainly NOT an expert!!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Does the LED flash in a pattern at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay. What happens is I plug it in... the blue led on front flashes 4 times. on the second flash it makes the digital noise. Ive replaced 4 capacitors on the main power board and I replaced the a/v connections board itself. thanks
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
4 flashes is usually a communication error between the main board and something else. Can you check all the ribbon cables for me? Reseat them if possible.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this twice actually. I'm an auto tech so I've gone through the cable ribbon connections and checked fuses. All good
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The sound you are mentioning would normally come an inverter or something like a Y-sus board. Did you check the caps there? You can use a multimeter to test them.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look again when I get home but to the best of my memory the only bad caps I found were on the main power board. Originally the TV would turn off after 1-3 mins. I replacedthe power board and it fried the av board. So I repaired the old power board with new capacitors(same type and rating) now I have this problem with turn on but no pictures
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
They do not always look blown when they go bad. That is why I mentioned checking them all with a multimeter.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check again this evening with my fluke meter
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All check OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wtf??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this shit is a joke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a new tech. freddy and pete not so expert
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I may be no more of an expert than they are, but one at least of the two you have had some advice from, is one of the best there is.
I think that you will need a service manual. They have voltage testing points, usually, they also have troubleshooting tables, possibly listings of flash codes hopefully, and disassembly diagrams, etc.
For this model, I find, upon searching... that there are service manuals available:
http://www.servicemanuals.net/ServiceManual/SAMSUNG/HPT4254X/495999/detail.aspx
or
http://www.servicemanuals.net/ServiceManual/SAMSUNG/HPT4254X/1458913/detail.aspx
and those are from a very reliable source, one that I have recommended repeatedly over the year to customers and never heard one word back of disfavor.
As for what specifics I know... the 4-flash code, roughly means, well... nothing very specific or useful, from what little information I can gather from all sources. I am sorry, but Samsung does not publish information on the flash code's meanings.
I've spent 20+ minutes searching for information on this problem. A service manual will be a good investment, since there is no public information specific to this model. Vague hints say that, for other model lines altogether, a four-flash code may be... this or that, really. And I honestly have no experience with a four-flashes code condition or its repair.
If there is further information I can get for you, just let me know. (The response may not be swift, for I do have other cases to work on, and am occasionally offline, and require time to research a good answer, etc. I hope that is understandable.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why yes you are more of an expert!! found a Samsung service manual( for free) and its troubleshooting guide helped me identify a faulty smps. I believe the part # ***** ***** Do you know of where I could get a good deal on one? thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the praise, glad you've had some indications toward a solution.
Though some instances of that part sell for as much as $243.... the least expensive appear to be these:
http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-7617-bn44-00161a-samsung-tv-module-power-supply-pspf411701a-hpt4234xxaa-hpt4254xxaa-hpt4264xxaa.aspx
or
http://www.cradeal.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=704
or
http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn44-00161a-power-supply.htm
though this last one is out-of-stock and the most expensive price of the three anyway. This site also mentions 'repair kits' for that power supply module, which contain some components that, presumably, are very commonly the ones that fail. The kits are cheapest of all... but may be only worth their price. It's up to you, I think, as to which to buy.
(If this completes the case, let me know how you would rate my work on your question - or just rate my Answer. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right on . Thanks!!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. I take it that my advice was good, or useful. I hope to hear back that the result was good, by and by.