Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My RCA DVD Player has a problem. I am able to turn it on,

Customer Question

My RCA DVD Player has a problem. I am able to turn it on, and signals appear on screen. I am able to insert a disc, using the manual control, but it does not acknowledge it. Keeps telling me to "insert a disc" or states, "no disc inserted".
You helped me with a different problem previously, (cant recall the exact nature!)so I have gone through the procedure you suggested..."unplugged for 1 hr, press and hold power-on button, for 60 secs., while plugging back in. Also tried it with the ejrct button, and did the gentle shake...
Is this something different or do you think it is packed in?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I think a sensor inside the disk drive has failed... or doubtfully but possibly, the worse problem has happened, and a control board inside the device that interfaces with the drive and senses its status, has failed.
Or - doubtfully - the drive's 'read lens' may be too dirty for the drive to sense-and-read (as is necessary initially, on disc insertion and spinup) that there is a disc present. For that, a brief cleaning with a DVD drive cleaning kit would be preventive maintenance against that rather simple and easily cured problem.
Once that is seen to, if it senses no disc even when a disc is inserted, it's pretty much either the drive has failed, or the control/interface board for the drive (that it 'talks' to) has failed. The only other possible cause: have you changed your disc media lately? try as many DVD discs as you can (up to perhaps 6 of them), provided none of them is being scratched or cracked or otherwise damaged by the drive (very unlikely, but I like to be complete - and prevent the ruining of 6 DVDs in that rare case!)
How old is the DVD payer in question?