Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I'm trying to get an old RS-9005 working. I've got it all

Customer Question

I'm trying to get an old RS-9005 working. I've got it all hooked up, but no sound coming through. It shows all the controls working, but ...?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, have you tried using a pair of headphones?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I have not ... just a sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It uses that old headphone jack and I've thrown out all the headphones that I used to have... :-(
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Trying with a headphone would actually be a test. There is a speaker cutoff switch inside the headphone jack:
• if it doesn't work even with known to be good headphones, then it would be an internal hardware issue;
• if it works with the headphones but not with the connected speakers; then the cutoff switch may need a bit of cleaning.
Either way, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron?