D. Sandlin
D. Sandlin, Hobbyist
Experience:  5 years of repairing communications equpiment in the us Military
19897260

My name is ***** ***** I am a

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I am a diabetic(insulin)dependent for 48 years,
.
I would like to know if Apple can customize a watch with the chip my blood glucose monitoring system has in it.? The watch would need a port to accommodate the test strips that need to be read.
When I first heard of the watch and the health advantages it gives I became excited and hopefully that in time this would be an option. I know I can record my tests and the watch will track my blood sugars. This my present device will do.
It's awkward.testing in public when you need a flat surface and area to lay everything out while at dinner , shopping or driving the car. If I feel funny I need to test to see if I am going low. The watch would make it a lot easier.
I know it would be a customized watch; but it could be a very popular feature and an excellent seller. I would appreciate iit if this request landed on the desk of
Upper managements or an IT person.
Any help from Apple with these thoughts will be much appreciated.
Noreen XXXXXXXX @ XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  D. Sandlin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
While I respect the utility and uniqueness of your idea Noreen, I can tell you that the apple Corporation does not accept unsolicited ideas for new products. Here is their legal page which states their standpoint.
http://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/policies/ideas.html
With that being said, there's been speculation on an I watch with non invasive glucose monitoring, google also announced last year they are developing a contact lens that continuously monitors glucose levels, and there are several other groundbreaking devices being worked on. I wouldnt expect to see any consumer available watches or lenses in the next 2 years as FDA approval has to happen for the devices to be sold, and that takes time.
A current device which may make things a bit easier for you is the Dexcom G4 system. It has a non invasive monitor that continuously monitors glucose levels under the skin, combined with a receiver that can transmit that data to your smartphone.
You can look into that device here
http://www.dexcom.com/dexcom-g4-platinum-share
If you have further questions or concerns, let me know!
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent/ 5 stars selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen, when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.