Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a Horizen Intrepid model gx12605.The black insulation

Customer Question

I have a Horizen Intrepid model gx12605.The black insulation on the coiled wiring from the upper station plug in to the mic is disintegrating.The plug and mic are in fine condition.What do I have to do to fix the situation.Before I tried taping it,some copper wire was showing.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. What I would suggest using is heat shrink tubing if you really want to make the wire perform and even look the way it did before. You can buy this featuring tubing at just about any hardware store and it comes in packages of 3 to 6 little tubes in a couple of colors I believe black and white. All they are initially are rubber tubes and you will need to be able to fit one of these tubes over the end, so by one that's big enough to do that, and then apply heat to the tube either with a heat gun or a hairdryer. A heat gun will do it more quickly but a hairdryer will do it as well. Just be careful not to overheat because it will melt very easily once he gets to its melting point. You should be able to put some of it on the microphone and some of it on the wire connecting into the mic and still have it shrink around both. The amount which it shrinks is quite a bit. That is by far the best solution as long as you can just get those tubes there only maybe a dollar for a package and then if you can fit it over the mic which should be fairly small. Mike