Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

CAR CHARGER SEEMS TO CUT OUT EVERY 30 SEC. I USE THE DEVICE

Customer Question

CAR CHARGER SEEMS TO CUT OUT EVERY 30 SEC. I USE THE DEVICE EVERY DAY AND AFTER 2 HOURS THE BATTERY IS RUN DOWN. I HOLD DEVICE IN HAND AND SOMETIMES IT COMES ON. (BRIGHTER SCREEN) AND CHARGES FOR 1/2 MINUTE THEN DROPS OFF. I CANNOT CONTROL CHARGING AMOUT & BATTERY IS RUN DOWN. I NEED A QUICK FIX CAN U DO IT OVER THE COMPUTER??
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having.
If you still need help with this, may I ask:
1) the DEVICE TYPE you are using (make & model number would be good)?
2) the type of car charger you are using (did it come with the device or was it purchased somewhere else)?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GARMIN NUVI MODEL# ***** # ***** SORRY I WAS HAVING DINER. I DRIVE EVERY DAY DELIVERING LATE/OVERDUE LUGGAGE FROM PALM BEACH AIRPORT. I DO NEED A QUICK FIX OR ANYTHING THAT WILL KEEEP ME IN BUSINESS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE IT PLUGGED INTO MY COMPUTER AT THIS TIME HOPEING IT WILL CHARGE.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Plugging into your POWERED ON computer SHOULD allow it to charge, but it will take a few hours - since USB ports of computers only offer about 0.5 Amps of current (vs. 1-2 Amps from the vehicle power adapter).
To may I ask if this is a model that has "Traffic" features and if so, do you USE those traffic features?
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HAVING A FUN DAY WITH GARMIN ACTING UP I TOOK OUR DOG FOR A WALK AND TOSSED THE BALL FOR HIM.. IT CAME TO A REST ON A SLOPE BESIDE A LAKE. DAMN IF I DIDN'T ROLL INTO THE WATER AS I BENT DOWN TO PICK UP THE BALL. SOAKED MY PHONE SO TODAY IS NOT MY BEST ELECTROIC DAY
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I like to visit the park and watch the critters too. Don't have a dog anymore, but understand how phones can be dropped. I actually like to leave my phone in the car - to "get away" during my park visits.
So may I ask if your Nuvi has "traffic" features - and if you use them?
I only ask because devices with traffic sometimes have a "special" power adapter - that also has a traffic DATA receiver in it.
Also, do you have a DIFFERENT power socket that you have tried in your vehicle - as a loose power socket could give you symptoms like this.
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO NOT HAVE TRAFFIC SPECIAL DEAL. POWER PLUG DOES LITE UP WHEN PLUGGED IN AND IT ALSO WILL CHARGE MY PHONE WHEN NEEDED. JUST BOUGHT A 1.5 AMP & 2.5 AMP CHARGING SOCKET FOR CAR POWER. THAT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE THE PROBLEM..IT IS IN THE GARMIN.MAY BE IN THE ENCLOSED CIRCUIT? WHAT EVER IT IS HOLDING,SQUEEZING TILTING DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.N IT STILL CUTS OUT AT BADTIMES WHILE I DRZIVE. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CONNECTING PLUG IS GARMIN SUPPLIED. WORKED JUST FINE FOR 1 & 1/2 YEAR. NOW JUST AGRIVATION...I AM SURE THAT I AM OUT OF WARRENTY, AND DO NOT HAVE $ TO BUY A NEW DEVICE..
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Sorry for any delay - my computer thinks it is time to do "updates" and wants to reboot on me.
OK - let me ask you about the connector on this device - and how it "feels" when the power connector is plugged in?
Also, can you tell me the AGE of the device?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GOT THIS IN NOV OF 2013 THE CONNECTOR DOES NOT SEEM TO WOBBLE OF REACT WHEN I PUSH IT IN OR PUT ANY PRESSURE ON IT. AS I SAID SUSPECT FAUT IS INSIDE DEVICE OR FEMALE PLUG CONTACTS HAVE JUST MOVED OUT OF TOUCHING..I HAVE HAD IT CONNECTED TO COMPUTER FOR AN HOUR AND HAVE TRIED TO WIGGLE THE CONNECTOR.. NO REACTION..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TRUE DIFFERENT WIRE, BUT THAT IS WHAT WAS SUPPLIED WITH DEVICE. IS THERE A WAY TO SEE THE AMOUNT OF BATTERY CHARGE??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GREG,IT IS 10 PM HERE WEST PALM AND I HAVE DRIVEN OVER 300 MILES TODAY. HAVE A MED APPOINTMENT AT 8:15 TOMORRROW ,SO I AM SIGNING OFF. ANY CORRECTIVE ADVICE SEND E-MAIL. THANKS, ***** ********@******.***.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
You may be right about this being a connector problem. But I'm not sure about the pins not making contact. About the only time I've seen that happen is when there is actual damage to the pins, and that would require replacing the connector.
Now you mentioned that ""I HOLD DEVICE IN HAND AND SOMETIMES IT COMES ON", so that makes me think that this is more of an internal connector - where the connector mounts to the main control board. Let me give you a link that describes this issue, including close up pictures (scroll down the page).
http://www.sharc.net/gps_charger_repair.htm
Now as that page mentions, it is NOT a good idea to try to repair something like this yourself UNLESS you have a LOT of experience and the right tools to do the job.
But I will tell you that the folks on that site MAY be able to make the repair for a reasonable price - IF you can get a quote from them and get into their repair schedule (they get very busy).
Another alternative (option) is to have your device repaired by Garmin - using their "flat rate" repair service. This is often much more affordable than buying a new unit, but you will have to check the quote for your device.
To do that, go to the following page and use the pull-down menu to select your device model. That will give you the quote, and then you can scroll down the screen to see the rest of the process (mostly "getting the numbers" so the repair Center will accept it).
http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Bu the way, if you are anywhere close to the Kansas City, KS area, they have a "walk-in" customer service center - where you can take the device - for must faster service. They are at the same address listed on that out of warranty repair page.
Please let me know what you think might be the best choice for getting your device working again, or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)