Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

AS-410D scale that has intermittent issue transmitting via

Customer Question

AS-410D scale that has intermittent issue transmitting via serial cable the weight to pc
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.Since that serial interface is the old-fashioned RS-232-based (I presume so) type, rather than USB, I am acquainted with problems of that sort from my older experience with interfacing computer devices.You either haveA. a defective or flakey cable, orB. a cable that is too long? I doubt this very much. USB cables often have an effective practical length limit, but RS-232 serial cables could be quite long without much signal loss.or C. a defective serial interface in the scale,or D. a defective serial interface in the computer, or software activity on the computer that gets in the way of communication by engrossing the processor just when it should be providing a response over the RS-232 cable. To check on this last possible cause, don't run anything else on the computer whatever. See if the problem doesn't occur, or the problems lessen in frequency, that way. To judge further as to what is wrong (aside from the obvious measure of swapping the cable to see if the cable is defective) I will need to know more about the computer, and the length of the cable, I think, so tell me about them also, please. Thanks.