Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices
32989067

Had a Surface Pro 2 connected to a 27MP65 and a 27EA33. Worked

Customer Question

Had a Surface Pro 2 connected to a 27MP65 and a 27EA33. Worked just fine. My new Surface Pro 3 wont recognize the 27EA33. What is wrong?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the make and model of the wifi router your trying to connect to please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is not a router issue. I am trying to connect two monitors in addition to my surface pro screen. Worked fine with the surface pro 2.0 which was purchased at Windows 8 then upgraded to 8.1. Purchased surface pro 3.0 yesterday. I am using the surface pro 3 docking station to connect to the two LG monitors. The 27MP65 is working fine but the 27EA33 is not recognized. It remains black.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the codes where the SSID of the routers.
If you connect directly to the surface instead of the docking station, does it then work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, sorry. My husband said he had tried that. It worked for just a second then went black again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the project to a second screen option in the windows display personalization area is gone.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm the monitor works from another computer please as if it went black then it looks to be a hardware failure and I want to ensure the monitor is working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I just reconnected it to the old surface pro 2 and it is fine.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Now if you connect it back to the surface 3 by itself, what happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it displays ok. Still just connected directly to the screen. Not my multiple monitor setup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I have the project to a second screen option back in windows.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it looks like not enough power is getting to the monitor which can be a limitation with the surface 3
What happens when you connect both monitors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen that worked originally now does not work. I am having to use adaptors in both cases to go from usb to HDMI on the one and from mini HDMI to HDMI on the other. The usb adaptor is a usb 3. Tyring to determine whether usb port on the surface itself is 2 or 3.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so specs say the port is usb 3. The material re multiple monitors I am reading online says this pro 3 (i5 processor) is capable of driving up to three external displays.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
whats the make and model of this adapter? As the info you read refers to the display port not the USB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both monitors work when plugged separately into the old surface 2.
The 27EA33 works when plugged into the new surface 3 using the hdmi port.
The 27MP65 works when plugged into the new surface 3 using the hdmi port.
The usb adapter works with either monitor on the old surface 2.
The usb adapter does not work with either monitor on the new surface 3.
So my question is does the surface pro 3 usb port NOT drive external monitors? And is not, does the docking station fix this?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No it does not, and no the docking station does not change this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it was available in the surface 2 but not the surface 3?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it uses the HDMI port.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you've done all you can for now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you