Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a new futura quartet out of the box (several years old,

Customer Question

I have a new futura quartet out of the box (several years old, just unpacked). Machine threaded correctly, sews 5 perfect stitches and quits - shows error 06 (thread breakage)
no thread is broken, no problems with bobbin - drove 360 miles to the nearest singer repairman, he rethreaded, sewed 5 perfect stitches and said this machine is a pile of crap, throw it away and get yourself a decent machine, the electronics appear to be your problem. Have you encountered this before, did I miss unwrapping something
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If it is a Singer machine, well, their warranty period is usually very long, much longer than usual, sometimes 12 years. So check the warranty card or other warranty terms statement, that came with this Futura Quartet. If still within warranty, regardless of grumbling about the supposed lesser quality of electronics-based sewing machines manufactured nowadays (and I have heard those complaints), it will be fixed by Singer for free at any warranty repair center.
Of course a guy faced with a difficult problem and obliged to fix it under warranty will try to get out of spending effort - generally not well paid, if its warranty repair - as you say yours did. Insist and persist, I advise.
(If you need help getting contact information for Singer sewing machine warranty repair centers - which should be called first, before driving to them - then if so please tell me your locale, by zip code.)
The ultimate question is, of course, whether this problem is due to a machine defect. Breaking threads when first setting up a machine are generally due to setting upper thread tension to too high a value. Possibly also the lower thread or bobbin thread's tension might need to be slackened a bit... note whether it is the upper thread that breaks, or the lower thread.
If no thread is breaking, and the indication is false, then that's different. But setting the tension either tighter (to obviate a false broken thread detection) or looser (for the same purpose in a different way) might help, and should be tried.