Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

I allowed the battery dto completely run down. I tgried to

Customer Question

I allowed the battery dto completely run down. I tgried to recharge the battery using dthe system I used precviously. The yellow lighr came on for a few seconds then wdnt off. The batterfy was still dead.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Before thinking it is the battery, it may only hang at boot. Try to reset it by pressing the power button for at least 20 sec (make it 30 to be sure) and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

held power for minudte . No luck, however dthe yell flilskered for a few seconds dthen wen out.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
If a lithium battery is without charge for a long time, it can actually be damaged and no longer work (i hate them for that).
One of the flaw of many over miniaturized electronic is the connector soldering and the kindle have lot of failure because of this. You may have that problem and need to resolder the connector:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U4aaqnRpoo
(note that this is for a model 1, the one you have may slightly differ internally).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, ***** ***** of Doc joke, the operation was a success but the patient died.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

It is all up to you about how much "futile medical care" you want to put on it. I have a special pile of eletronic equipment i refuse to let go so i retry to fix some each year. This year i got a breaktrough in some technique that allowed me to half the pile (some were there from around 1995). Remember that if it is to go to junk, you don't have to fear about breaking the device.