Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an Onkyo TX-NR636 AV receiver and have connected a Universal

Customer Question

I have an Onkyo TX-NR636 AV receiver and have connected a Universal remote PSX2 Ipod player thru the component hook up and get sound, but for on screen viewing we are getting an error asking for the PSX2 device to be changed to 480i which we have no way to do on the PSX2. We have changed the video input on the Onkyo starting at 480i all the way up to 1080I and still no on screen display. As a trouble shoot we connected the PSX2 direct to a tv without going thru the Onkyo and it works fine, so it is obvious it is an Onkyo problem. I previously had this hooked up to an Onkyo Txnr 717 and it worked with no problems.Whats going on and what do I have to change to make this work.
Thanks,
Geoff
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, With no way to change the resolution of the PSX2, this receiver requires you use "Composite" Video connections to the receiver so that it can receiver can then upscale the signal to HDMI. Since the PSX2 does not support composite, you would need to actually convert the component signal to composite by using an active converter such as the one at the link below:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2
Or, an alternative is to run a set of component cables from the Onkyo's "Component Out" to the TV for use when viewing the PSX2 on the TV screen.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to see my reply?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?