Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Just installed a garmin 7212 and I can't get it to acquire

Customer Question

Just installed a garmin 7212 and I can't get it to acquire its posistion...any advice?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
The first time the 7212 is turned on, it can take up to 10 minutes to acquire the satellite positions. If it is still having difficulty after that time, check that the antenna is securely connected or try using a different antenna.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried all the basic trouble shooting fixes. Was looking for a little more advanced tip, like how to do a master reset. Saw on the Internet a few answers how to get different Garmin models to fire up on the satellite s teen but nothing on this model. For $24 was hoping for a little better advice.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rob,
If it is new a master reset should not be necessary - 99% of the time this problem is due to a loose or bad antenna. Have you checked the antenna or tried using a different one yet?