Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am a technician on the Caribbean island of Trinidad. I am

Customer Question

I am a technician on the Caribbean island of Trinidad. I am working on a ap6020.
I replaced all the output transistors and numerous smaller parts on one channel. The sine wave is perfect on frequencies up to approximately 600hz and maximum volume. Above 600hz the amp trips off. It would not trip if the volume is lower than 25%. The next channel works fine.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have repaired over 5000 power amps and 2000 integrated amps over 20 years. I do repairs for other technicians, DJs, sound companies, bands , clubs and recording studios.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, consider using the good channel as a template and then do a point-by-point comparison of the resistance to ground with the faulty channel. It would be preferable to use an analog multimeter. Four (4) tests all paired to ground; X1 & x 1K, then again but reverse test prods. Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, consider using the good channel as a template (if have not been tried) and then do a point-by-point comparison of the resistance to ground with the faulty channel. It would be preferable to use an analog multimeter. Four (4) tests all paired to ground; X1 & X1K, then again but reverse test prods.Any discrepancy and that part on the failing channel would then be suspect and must be re-tested out-of-circuit. Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done better than that. I have used a BK component tester to compare both channels
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's both channels simultaneously. Compared components on both channels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is slight oscillation at the tips of the sine wave. Im suspecting a capacitor. Its a Yorkville AP6020 power amp rated at 2500watts rms per channel.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The above approach was proposed in response to "...Do you have any suggestions?..." and as this new information (BK component tester) was not made available early in the initial posting.
Hopefully, another member of the site could provide an alternate approach to your concern. The question would be re-opened as I would be opting out.
Still, good luck with the Yorkville.
This is not an Info Request.