Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My 2000 dollar Integra 70.1 just went into protection

Customer Question

Hello. My 2000 dollar Integra 70.1 just went into protection mode and was planning on a DIY fix if you would be so kind as to walk me through the careful process.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the requested question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, have to ask; do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron? Equally important, could you make use of the schematic diagrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I do. What would I have to go to get this preamp out of protection mode. Every time I turn it on, the main blue light turns on for a split second and then shuts off and the standby red light starts flashing. A speaker cable crossing over is the whole reason behind this mess
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The described "... speaker cable crossing over..." is very significant as the system was loaded with a short circuit on 1 of its output. Which output terminals were the shorted speaker wires connected to please? This information would give us an idea on which transistors to de-solder and check out-of-circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The center speaker. I have banana plug connectors screwed onto the tips of the speaker wire. I disconnected the center speaker and the banana plug inputs positive and negative touched eachother with the pre amp plugged in . What a moron, right?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand...and accidents happen. Still, proposed preliminary tests on center channels: • P6052 & P6062 pair (TTC0002 & TTA0002 respectively) (most likely);• Q6032, Q6102, Q6042 & Q6112 (likely);• Q6012 & Q6022 (least likely). Please post back results / observations of the above once tested out-of-circuit. A friendly suggestion; take lots of pictures to help identify which part goes where and how oriented when putting back.