Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have just started using a moves app on my iphone and I notice

Customer Question

I have just started using a moves app on my iphone and I notice a big variance between that and my trusted 910xt the moves app says I have ridden about 20% further how can this be?
Regards John
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
iPhones, and the Garmin devices, are very different devices, to say the least.
In my personal opinion, the iPhone motion and movement and exercise apps are probably 'amateur grade' whereas the Garmin is more professional, more designed for the very purpose. But whichever one is 'better', it is certain that they sense motion in different ways and with different means, and that difference is reflected in the way that they measure differently.
You should be amazed that they are only 20 % different from each other... 30 % or more is quite usual, even with fully functioning equipment in each case.
Is that all there is to it? possibly not. Various choices of iOS apps for the iPhone might register somewhat more as the Garmin does... it's worth a try of different apps on the iPhone, if you like.