John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

Voltage selector switch on a pioneer vsx-917-s/-k is broken.

Customer Question

voltage selector switch on a pioneer vsx-917-s/-k is broken. can i join cables together inside and if so which colour joins with which. thank you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
Based on the service manual from this site, http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/audio/Pioneer%20VSX-917V,%20VSX-817%20Receiver.pdf
I can not see a selector switch. I could have the wrong service manual or we could have a slightly different model number.
If it has dual voltage selection, then it could be an international version .
would you happen to have your own service manual that would indicate in the schematics the voltage selector switch?
I know now a days, almost, if not all electronic appliances are auto volts. Meaning no more selector switch. But if you have an older version, It might still have it.
I will try to research more on this later and maybe i could find the exact schemtic that would tell me which wires to connect if it has a voltage selector switch.
Thanks,
Francis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the receiver has two voltage selectors, 1 like a switch and 1 like a rotating disc . it is the disc that has broken and i need to find the right wires to join to operate on 240volt. it could well be that it is an international model. it is approx. 10 years old. thanks.
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for those info.
I think I know what you are talking about because i used to have a TEAC which has the rotary selector switch that you got.
I would really need to find your service manual to help you specially, I am not around to do some resistance test on the power transformer to determine which wire to connect.
I would look into my files tonight and come back to you if ever I can find the right schematic.
Thanks,
Francis
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.
It would also help me if you can post the picture of the broken switch including the wires that are on the switch as well as the transformers where the wires are connected.
I could probably verify for you on which wire to test for resistance.
I would ask you too to be ready with a multi meter to measure resistance of the transformer for me.
Thanks again,
Francis