Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I just purchased the Bose Sound Dock Portable Digital Music

Customer Question

I just purchased the Bose Sound Dock Portable Digital Music System and I can't get my iPhone 4s to play music through Bluetooth (i.e. without docking my phone). My iPhone shows the Bose SeriesIII as discoverable but says could not connect check that device is switched on. Please help - this is really annoying.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
How long have you owned the Bose for, and have you connected any other devices via Blue Tooth to the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought Bose system yesterday (it's been charging overnight) - my iPhone connects to Bluetooth in my car without any problems.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm not asking about the Iphone right now. I'm asking if ANY other devices are connected to the Bose system right now via BlueTooth (Tablet, Ipad, PC, etc.)?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The reason I ask, is that only one device can be connected to the Bose at a time, if something else was previously connected, it would need to be disconnected in it's Blue Tooth MENU.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - but how do previous devices get disconnected from MENU?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You would go into their "BlueTooth" settings, and shut Blue Tooth OFF.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
But this isn't relevant if nothing else has been connected to the Bose via BlueTooth. Was there something else that was connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Go into your Iphone and shut off Blue Tooth. Make sure there is not a Wi Fi router in between you and the Bose (this will interfere with Blue Tooth). Also, keep in mind BlueTooth has a MAX range of 30 feet (usually much less), so go about 10 feet away from the Bose system. Shut off the Bose system, and then turn it back on. Turn on the Blue Tooth on your Iphone. "Discover devices" . Once you see the Bose, attempt to connect and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed instructions sitting 50cm away from Bose and got Connection Unsuccessful message with additional txt 'Make sure Bose SIII is within range and switched on
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Can you please elaborate on the "additional txt"? I'm not sure what you're saying here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your instructions (switched off Bluetooth on iPhone and Bose system - switched them back on) used Bluetooth to find Bose system while sitting half a metre away from Bose system and I received the following message 'Connection Failed - Make sure Bose SIII is within range and switched on'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is v frustrating.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I understand, and I agree. We can't go into this knowing what is wrong or if the steps are being performed correctly- we simply have to give you all of the steps that should be taken on a user level to correct this problem. In some cases there's a problem with the component you purchase (the Bose in this case) and it needs to be returned to the retailer for an exchange. Do you have another device- such as a tablet or laptop, that you can try to connect to the Bose to see if it is at fault (which it appears to be)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just tried to discover Bose system using my Mac Book Pro and it is coming up blank. Does this model have Bluetooth functionality?- the sales person who I spoke to yesterday said it did.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me which model sound dock you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Material number 043090 S/N 043090933630356AE
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't tell me the model. It's either a sound dock XT (with yellow paint "splashed" on the speakers), or the series III which is charcoal in color. Which one do you have?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Actually upon looking these both up (they are the only current Sound Dock models), neither of them have Blue Tooth built in and I'm afraid the Salesman misled you. The only Bose models with Blue Tooth are the ones at the link below: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/bluetooth_speakers/index.jsp
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This is strange since you mentioned the phone found the Bose and said connection unsuccessful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a charcoal Series Iii - my iPhone 4S definitely discovered Bose system But my MacPro laptop didn't
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. There is a certain set of steps that you must perform to do the Bluetooth pairing between and iPhone and the Bose sound dock. If you clear your pairings from the a iPhone and then follow these instructions exactly, then you should be able to get the pairing done. If not, please let me know. If your SoundDock 10 system has never been paired with a Bluetooth® device, insert the system's 2-prong plug into a live AC outlet and wait until the Bluetooth® light starts flashing. That indicates theBluetooth® dock is in discoverable mode and ready to pair with a device.Note: The dock stays in discoverable mode (up to 30 minutes with first-time use) until you connect your stereo Bluetooth® music phone to itFollow these steps to pair with a Bluetooth® enabled device:Bring your Bluetooth® music device (phone, MP3 player) close to the SoundDock 10 systemTurn on the Bluetooth® feature in your music device. For details on using this feature, refer to the owner's guide for your deviceIn the list of found Bluetooth® devices, find "Bose SoundDock 10" and select itIf prompted, enter the Bose® SoundDock 10 system passkey: 0000When your music device confirms it is connected, the Bluetooth® light will stop flashing and remain onNote: You can use the SoundDock 10 system remote to control the connected Bluetooth® music device.If your stereo Bluetooth® music device loses its connection because it is out of range, the dock will automatically try to reconnect with the device (the Bluetooth® light will flash during reconnection). If the SoundDock 10 system cannot restore a connection within five minutes, it will turn off.To disconnect your device:On the SoundDock 10 system remote press OffUse the disconnect command in your Bluetooth® deviceTo reconnect your device:When your system is off, press any button on the remote except Offor AUX to turn on the systemThe SoundDock 10 system will automatically try to connect with the most recently connected Bluetooth® device