Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a definitive PL15 TL + subwoofer, I powers on but no

Customer Question

I have a definitive PL15 TL + subwoofer, I powers on but no sound ,it was working then no sound ,can you give some pointer of what might be the problem or just go buy a new one
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Please pull the RCA cable out of the back of your receiver, turn the volume up on the sub and tap your finger on the end of the RCA cable. Do you hear a buzz or hum coming from the subwoofer?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to see my reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ,nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ,I did what you told me to do and I get no buzz sound or anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get any kind of buzz sound
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay this indicates the plate amplifier of the subwoofer has failed- more specifically the speaker outputs which drive the speaker themselves. This requires hardware repairs on the unit, which is typically not cost effective. Another alternative to replacement is to purchase a replacement plate amp and retro-fit the unit into the Def Tech cabinet. This is more cost effective since a replacement amp can be purchased for between $100-$150. http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers/332 The other feasible option cost-wise would be to replace the unit with a new one- as the cost of repairing the existing amp is in the $200 range. I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Since the 15" driver and cabinet are still in good condition, I would suggest retro-fitting a new amplifier into the cabinet. Any of the options above that are in the 200 watt RMS and above range will work well with this driver, but may require slight modification of the cutout in the box using a jigsaw, or putting a new uncut baffle on the box and then cutting out the hole for the new amplifier.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't you so much for your information, I think I'm just going to replace the unit ,I had it for some time now ,it was good while it lasted .
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and I can understand that, sorry for the bad news. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.