Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a CD stuck in Rotel RCD 991.

Customer Question

I have a CD stuck in Rotel RCD 991.

I was expecting an answer in 15 minutes and I have now been waiting for almost 3 hours. When will I get the answer to mu question?

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Sorry for the delay - I was offline.
Thanks for requesting me for your question.
Try the following:
turn the system off at the wall, press and hold the Eject button on the front panel, and continue to hold whilst turning the system on at the wall.
If that does not force the disc to eject, then the unit will need to be disassembled so that you can prise the disc out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete,

This is a trivial reply. I have already tried this many times before - no effect.

I have also unscrewed the cover, partially pulled out the disc assembly but I could not pull out the disk. It is covered with a plastic plate from the top that has no obvious screws on it. So, I have no idea how to pull it off in order to get the disc out or, alternatively, how to compel the tray to move forward and expose the disc. Some players have a latch on the bottom of the drive which can be moved to open the tray but mine doesn't.

Please note that the jam has been most likely caused by a faulty disc, not the failure of the belt (I had the whole disc drive - laser assembly replaced with a new one less than a year ago - it is a Sony unit with the name "S22" engraved on the plastic).

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it would help to know what you had already tried as this is always the first starting point, which is why I started with it :)
If the tray mechanism is not jammed, then it will carefully prise outwards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What - just by pulling it outwards? No, I have tried it too for a long time. It is stuck. I had this problem before with another faulty disc (before changing the assembly). Took it to the workshop and the technician has unscrewed the cover and pulled it out somehow while I waited. So, I know it can be done but it requires the removal of the cover and access to the drive. I have not seen what he has done, unfortunately, as he has done it at the back of the store but gave me the disk in a few minutes.

I think you need to know this particular unit to give me advice.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me see if another expert can give more specific guidance on this.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, a likely possibility is that the traverse ass'y is still engaged; i.e. tilted up locking the disc in place between the magnetic clamp of the upper holder (
plastic plate from the top) and the spindle's small platter.

Please click HERE for additional insight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for sending through the link to the disassembly diagram, Louie. The problem was that the disk was unable to load properly and was continuously spinning. I had to open it up and disassemble to pull it out. I have unscrewed the two screws holding the upper holder of the magnet but the holder wasn't moving anywhere. It was also held to the bottom part of the assembly by 4 plastic clips that I could not see but which are shown on the diagram. Somehow I have managed to disengage the clips on one side and have pulled out the disc. Unfortunately it was a pyrrhic victory, as the spindle is no longer spinning after I have fixed the upper holder back into place. I have no idea why, as I can't see that I have broken anything. Perhaps it simply hasn't clicked into the slot for the axis of the spinning wheel and I need to take off the white plastic wheel on the top of the holder first to be able to see where the bottom wheel is centred but I don't know how to do it and I am afraid to break something, as it is so flimsy.

So, unfortunately it was all in vain and I will still need to take the unit to the service centre to see if the problem I have caused can be repaired.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Saulius

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand Saulius and glad that the exploded parts diagram helped served removing the stuck disc.

Yet sorry to hear of this new issue.

Still, good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.