Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369

I can not open my safe, the digital display shows the safe

Customer Question

I can not open my safe, the digital display shows the safe is unlocked but it won't open.It has electronic lock and key.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome! The first thing I would recommend is to change your batteries. Very often, they will have enough power to light up the display, but not enough to power open the door. If you don't know how to change the batteries, please let me know the safe maker and model number and I will send you directions. Is your safe made by Sentry? If changing the batteries does not help you open the safe, please post back and I will give you other suggestions to try. Is your key tubular (round and hollow)? In your model, do you use it first or last, in conjunction with the combination? My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then positive feedback such as an excellent service rating or 5 stars (whichever option you're given) is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification and I will be glad to continue.Warmest regards,Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Batteries changed Tumbler is round first or last??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SentrySafe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried both first and last
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model #0A3810
Serial # *****
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information. Please allow me a short time to compose and get some additional information to you.Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I enter the code it I always heard a click no click any more
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Ok, so you changed your batteries recently? That's good! However, if you didn't change them yesterday, I'd change them again. Sometimes, batteries drain, while sitting on warehouse or store shelves, so, you don't really know if there's enough juice left in them. If your keypad is round, you know how to change the batteries, right? Here is an electronic copy of your manual, which will have all instructions, in case you don't have your manual anymore: http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/OwnersManuals/513022.pdf Use the key first, to pop out the cylinder, then remove the key before entering your code. Make sure your handle is in the complete horizontal position before entering your combo and attempting to open the safe. You will have 4 seconds to turn the handle down after entering the code. If it doesn't turn down, try turning it up. If this doesn't work, take a rubber mallet or a hammer with a towel wrapped around it's head to protect the safe, OR put a thick phonebook between the safe door and the hammer and start hitting it above and below the keypad/lock and all around the edges of the safe, the top of the safe, back, and upper left corner of the door. Also, push your body weight into that upper left corner as if you were closing the safe. There may be something inside that has shifted and is blocking the opening mechanism, so, if you're able (get help, if you need it), tip the safe to the right side and also back and front and this may dislodge any stuck item, then try the key and code again. You may have a defective solenoid (opening mechanism) or handle, so you'd need to speak to Sentry about this. Their contact info is on the page with the link I included. Sentry is good with replacing defective parts or even entire safes, even if it's not still under warranty. I hope these suggestions help and please let me know how things are going. Thanks! Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I'm just checking in with you to see how things are going with your safe. I hope you got it open or contacted Sentry Customer Service for additional help. Here is their contact number: 1 800 828 1438. Hours are Mon.-Fri. 8am to 6PM Eastern time. I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know, here. Thank you! If you need any additional information, please just click Reply and I will still be here to help you. Please kindly take a moment to Rate with positive feedback, as that is the only way I am credited for my time and assistance.Thank you very much! Warmest regards,Cher