Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation with 7 yrs + hands on experience in Consumer Electronics equipments and Circuitry
22727371

I have a Panasonic SA-BT230 theatre system that has a CD I

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic SA-BT230 theatre system that has a CD I cant' get out.
When I press the eject button it come up Please - F71 , i think.
I tried the instruction book to hold skip on the remote and the power button down together for 5 seconds no response.
Am I better to dump the system rather then send to tech for quote
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.

Sorry to hear about your issue.

We'll do multiple troubleshooting steps. Please be patient and don't rate my service until we have finished everything.

Unplug the power cord and disconnect the audio-video cable plugs from the unit. Then pick up the unit and turn it upside down, gently tilting the component side to side and front to back.

Please turn the unit right-side up and plug in the power cord only, then press the "Open/Close" button.

Tell me if it makes any difference to your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am currently at work so not with my unit.

I will try your suggestion when I get home tonight and if it does not work I will bring the unit to work with me tomorrow OK

Thanks for replying,

No problem we'll continue at your convenience.

Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried what you suggested with NO success , so I assume the DVD is not offcentre in the drive.

Still no lights come up to show power is on.

Does the unit have a fuse or something ??

Is the unit completely dead ?No signs of life.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you hold the Open / Close button down , nothing happens , when you let it go the little green light flicks on and the message comes up

"Please F71 or perhaps F21 then nothing green light does NOT stay on

Please repeat the above step and tell me the exact error code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Open F76 is What comes up in the window

I am sorry to say, your unit is going into protection mode.It is a problem with the power supply of your unit.
As of first step disconnect all the speakers & other I/O devices, with only power connected from your unit.Then check if it still shows the f76 error message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The unit has NOTHING connected to it, so not sure what to do next??

It could either be a blown power supply or a board and it needs to be replaced.Look for either a pulled white wire, or check any white wires coming off the transformer where they plug into the board. There could be a cold solder joint which needs to be resoldered or a faulty capacitor in the power supply, or near the protection relay.
Are you comfortable working with electronics circuitry ? Do you know how to use a DMM and a soldering iron ?
We have to diagnose the receiver by visually inspecting the large filter capacitors for bulges, leaking at the base or the solder joints. Also, you can test the output power transistors by verifying that only one leg of them are common to ground. If more than one leg is to ground then it verifies that the transistor is shorted.
In most cases the output transistors attached to the heat sink are shorted.This way you will be able to know which one is at fault and then replace it accordingly. If you feel you cannot do it then the best bet would be to take it to a local repair shop to repair it at a less cost. If your unit is under extended warranty scheme then take it to the manufacturer to repair it for free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it looks like it will be cheaper to replace the unit.

I am not familiar with fault finding electronics so was looking for confirmation as to suitability for repair.

Eg , cost of parts $80-00 , Labour $120-00 = $200 total repair cost , not worth it ??

Yes, absolutely its not worth repairing if you're going to take external help.
Sorry, to give a bad news.Please be kind enough to rate my service by clicking on one of the stars at the top > then click Submit.