Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

Lately, when the organ heats up the pedal sustain stays on

Lately, when the organ heats up the pedal sustain stays on instead of decaying as it should. There is a popping sound when it happens.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX can help you with your question.

The information I can provide is somewhat limited without knowing the model number or make of the organ, nor how hold it is. But in general, the popping noise can be caused by a failing capacitor (or on much older electronics, a tube).

If the instrument is from the last 20 years or so, it will have capacitors - you can check these visually on the circuit board - look for capicitors that are bulging at the top or leaking - if you find one ore more leaking or buldging capacitors, they shoulr be replaced. A bulging capacitor will bulge out very slightly on the top. A good capacitor will be perfectly flat. Capacitors will lose their effectiveness over time, so this is not uncommon. If you can provide more information on the make and model of your organ, I may be able to provide you more specific information.

SQ11
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The organ is a Hammond, model number H 182 built in the late 60's or early 70's. There are no capacitors.

Thank you for the reply. Then it is likely a tube that needs replacement. Is that something you would be repairing yourself? If so, I will see what information I can find regarding the testing of those components.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Mike,

This morning the pedal sustain does not fade at all indicating that the condition is now permanent. I think you are right about it being a tube as there are no other electronics. If I knew which tube it was and had one, I could fix it myself.

Ok. Yes... That confirms the suspicion. If you open it up you may be able to save some time with a visual inspection... You might be able to tell what tube has failed (makes me wonder sometimes who the newer electrics benefit, us or the manufacturers! Gone are the days when a visual inspection of electronics will tell you anything... Heck, sometimes just turning something on is a challenge!)

If memory serves, if you can visually identify it, it should be a some matter of getting the type of type from the base. Then we can look for it. If not, I can try to find the documentation to see what tube is responsible for that circuit. The challenge sometimes with the older models is the predate electronic forms of service manuals, schematics, and the like. But sometimes we can find someone that has scanned them in.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Mike,

I think we have done all we can on this matter at this time. "opening it up" is not something done easily any more as I'm an old man and need help to lift it away from the wall. So this process will take some time. I have a possible source for a service manual and possibly some tubes that I will pursue. Thanks for your time and trouble.

Jack

Expert:  replied 5 months ago.
Ok, Jack. I certainly understand.

Please remember to rate my level of service using the rating icons when you have a moment. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt