Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation with 7 yrs + hands on experience in Consumer Electronics equipments and Circuitry
22727371

I have a stereo Panasonic SA-PM38 which is coming up with an

I have a stereo Panasonic SA-PM38 which is coming up with an error P76. It starts playing for about 1 minute then shuts down. Thanks
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

Md. Sadique :

Hello and thanks for your question.

Md. Sadique :

I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.

Md. Sadique :

Please send me a short message when you are online and ready to begin.

Customer:

Hi

Md. Sadique :

Are you ready ?

Customer:

yes

Md. Sadique :

Can you please check the error code again ?

Md. Sadique :

Whether it is p-76 or f76.

Customer:

Its actually F76

Md. Sadique :

Yes.

Md. Sadique :

I was wondering how P-76 is being displayed.

Customer:

I apologise it was my error - it did not show p76 - I read it wrong

Md. Sadique :

No need to apologize.

Md. Sadique :

Do you hear any relay clicks when the unit turns ON for a minute ?

Customer:

I will have to check back in a minute

Md. Sadique :

No problem, take your time.

Customer:

No relay clicks when unit turn on or off

Md. Sadique :

Okay

Md. Sadique :

Can you please disconnect everything from the stereo like speakers, woofers etc. except the power cord ?

Customer:

Ok - and then what next

Md. Sadique :

After that try turning on the stereo and tell me if you see the same error and the unit behaves the same.

Customer:

ok - I will go do that now

Md. Sadique :

Thanks !

Customer:

Yes it does the same. I disconnected everything but power cord and it then turned off after a minute.

Md. Sadique :

I am afraid to say your unit's power supply has gone bad.

Md. Sadique :

What is the age of your unit ?

Customer:

Probably 5-6 years

Md. Sadique :

We have to diagnose the stereo by visually inspecting the large filter capacitors for bulges, leaking at the base or the solder joints. Also, you can test the output power transistors by verifying that only one leg of them are common to ground. If more than one leg is to ground then it verifies that the transistor is shorted.

Md. Sadique :

Do you have any electronics repair knowledge ?

Md. Sadique :

Do you know how to use a DMM and soldering iron ?

Customer:

No, but I could probably find someone around that may be able to assist me.

Md. Sadique :

If you feel you cannot do it then the best bet would be to take it to a local repair shop to repair it at a less cost.

Md. Sadique :

Generally these type of repair can be done within 40$ - 50 $. So before sending it for repair check their labor charges etc to make sure it doesn't exceed the cost of buying a replacement unit.

Md. Sadique :

Is there anything else I can help you with ?

Customer:

Thanks. I will have to think about what I will do next. But thank you very much for your assistance. I appreciate it very, very much as I live in the country and it is not that easy to go into town. I think I may purchase a new one. Once again thank you for your help. This is the first time I have used such a service and it is great. I will use it again. Thanks Carmen

Md. Sadique :

It was nice working with you.

Md. Sadique :

Do I deserve a positive rating today ?

Customer:

Excellent

Md. Sadique :

Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

Md. Sadique :

Please rate this chat to close.

Md. Sadique :

You have click on the smileys and then select submit.

Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience: Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation with 7 yrs + hands on experience in Consumer Electronics equipments and Circuitry