Aric, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience troubleshooting and repairing electronics. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

We have an Integra CDC- 3.4 contact disc changer that has worked

We have an Integra CDC- 3.4 contact disc changer that has worked great for us for years.
The last time we turned the system on, we got an error message that said " Mech error".
Is there something i can do to repair the cause of this error message?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Is there any chance that the unit was moved or nudged with a CD still inside of it?

Can you hear the Eject motor trying to engage when you press Eject on the unit?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your quick reply.

1. I was out of town when my wife experienced this problem so I can't say that the unit was not moved or nudged. It is in a large cabinet on a very secure shelf so I don't think that would have caused the problem.

2. This unit has a six CD tray in it with an open/ close button instead of a eject button. I can't hear anything when you try to open the tray. None of the other buttons give any audible or visual indication that the system is trying to operate either.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

There is one of three possible things that could cause this problem:

1) A locked up Microprocessor (which you'd attempt to correct by disconnecting the unit from power, then press and holding the Open button for 10 seconds, then continuing to hold while you plug the unit back in).

2) A disc has become lodged or jammed inside the player preventing the unit from Ejecting the cartridge (to rectify this you would need to remove the player from the cabinet, unplug it, then remove the screws around the sides and rear of the cover then remove the top cover to check for a physical block of any moving parts).

3) A faulty Eject/Open Motor which is a hardware failure and requires service to correct the issue. In the latter case, the cost to repair is prohibitive as the cost of a new player/changer would likely be the same as the expense to repair this one.

If you decide that you need an outside Tech to fix the problem, you can use the following link to locate one in your area:

www.stereorepair.com

If you need further assistance let me know, and please don't forget to rate me before you log off.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks,

I removed the player from the shelf and as I did so the player tipped and a CD fell out. So, I shook it a couple of times and ended up with six CD's on the floor.

I plugged it back in and it is working.

Thanks for your input. It looks like it was a jammed CD.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Excellent and I am glad to hear that! If you're satisfied with my service, please don't forget to rate me before logging off.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience troubleshooting and repairing electronics. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I was just checking in to see if you got all the information you needed and if so, could you please rate my service so that I am credited for answer?