Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation.
22727371

I have a Panasonic HDD recorder (IR6) which has been working

I have a Panasonic HDD recorder (IR6) which has been working fine. All of a sudden the remote is not working. The batteries are fine. I keep getting the SET 1 message on the display. I have tried holding down the OK button and the 1 button for more than 5 seconds as it says in the handbook but nothing happens. What should I do now?

Leonie.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

MD.SADIQUE :

Hello and thanks for your question.

MD.SADIQUE :

I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.

MD.SADIQUE :

Please send me a short message when you are online and ready to begin.

MD.SADIQUE :

Can you please tell me the complete model number of your unit ?

Customer:

Hello, the Model No. is DMR-HW220

MD.SADIQUE :

Thanks for the info.

MD.SADIQUE :

As of first step we will check whether the remote is working alright and sending IR signals or not.

Customer:

Ok. How do we do that?

MD.SADIQUE :

We will test your TV remote.

Do you have any digital camera ?

MD.SADIQUE :

Sorry, not your TV remote but your recorder remote. It was a typo.

Customer:

No, I don't have a digital camera, sorry. I have lost it recently.

MD.SADIQUE :

Does your mobile phone has camera ?

Customer:

Yes

MD.SADIQUE :

Press buttons on your recorder remote control and at the same time look at the front of remote through your mobile phone camera, you will see blinking light because camera can see infrared light.

MD.SADIQUE :

Tell me if you see blinking lights

Customer:

On the display it says SET 1 and there is a blinking square light on the left of this

MD.SADIQUE :

There is a bit confusion here.

MD.SADIQUE :

Did you see blinking lights at the front of remote ?

Customer:

Im not sure where the blinking lights would be? Are they coloured?

MD.SADIQUE :

Yes, usually red

MD.SADIQUE :

Do you see an LED at the front of the remote ?

Customer:

No, there are no blinking lights at the front of the remote. Is it the little round light at the top end of the remote?

MD.SADIQUE :

Yes, that little round light.

MD.SADIQUE :

When you press buttons on your recorder remote control and at the same time look at the front of remote through your mobile phone camera, do you see that little round light blinking ?

Customer:

No it isn't blinking. It just looks like a white light through the camera\

MD.SADIQUE :

When you don't press the buttons on the remote; is it still a white light ?

Customer:

It looks much the same. No red flashing light either way.

MD.SADIQUE :

Not actually red it will also blink in some other color.

MD.SADIQUE :

Anyways, as it looks much the same with or without pressing the buttons.

Customer:

It just looks the same. No blinking lights

MD.SADIQUE :

It verifies your remote is not sending any signals to the recorder as a result of which you are unable to clear that SET 1 message.

MD.SADIQUE :

You will have to replace your remote to get everything back to alright.

MD.SADIQUE :

What is the age of your recorder ?

Customer:

It is not very old. Just bought it about 4 months ago.

MD.SADIQUE :

Its a good news that your unit is only 4 months old.

Customer:

But why did the remote stop working?

MD.SADIQUE :

Electronics units are very unpredictable.

Customer:

Where can I get a new remote from?

Customer:

Can you buy them separately?

MD.SADIQUE :

I have seen many units just out of the box and faulty.

MD.SADIQUE :

Why will you buy if you are going to get it free of cost from panasonic.

MD.SADIQUE :

Panasonic offers a one year warranty on the DMR-HW220, and lifetime telephone support.

MD.SADIQUE :

I don't recommend looking for the remote LED or trying to see what the problem is in detail without help from the Panasonic support team. The unit is under warranty and they will either help you repair the remote, or replace it with a new one.

Customer:

Oh, ok. So should I go back to the shop I bought the HDD from or should I call Panasonic?

MD.SADIQUE :

I would recommend you to call Panasonic.

MD.SADIQUE :

Call Panasonic on 132 600 between 8.30am - 6.00pm Monday to Friday (AEDT)

Customer:

Ok. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

MD.SADIQUE :

Are you satisfied with my service ?

MD.SADIQUE :

Do I deserve a positive rating today ?

Customer:

Yes, you gave good advice even though my problem still exists.

Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience: Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation.