Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation.
22727371

My wife has purchased 4 Kindles. They all have had the same

My wife has purchased 4 Kindles. They all have had the same problem in less than a year. They do not charge correctly. I have tried restarting them as other people have said to try but no luck. Is thre anything I can try? I hate to spend the money for another one.
Thanking you in advance.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

MD.SADIQUE :

Hello and thanks for your question.

MD.SADIQUE :

I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.

MD.SADIQUE :

Please send me a short message when you are online and ready to begin.

Customer: I'm here
MD.SADIQUE :

What happens when you try to charge the kindles ?

MD.SADIQUE :

Can you provide me some details ?

MD.SADIQUE :

It will help me to get to the root of your problem.

Customer: It just won't charge. I am currently trying a different charger. But we have had the same trouble with other kindles
MD.SADIQUE :

Thanks for the info.

MD.SADIQUE :

Please let me know what happens when you try a different charger.

MD.SADIQUE :

When you connect the charger cord, does the charge indicator light on the kindle turns ON ?

Customer: It was 2% when I started and it shows 3% now. The battery does not indicate it is charging however.
MD.SADIQUE :

Does the charge indicator light on the kindle turns ON ?

Customer: Not that I can tell
MD.SADIQUE :

Lets try resetting your kindle by following the steps below with the charger cord connected:

1) Remove your Kindle from the charger if connected.

2) Slide the power switch to the on position(to the right) and hold it there for 30 seconds,then release the switch.

3) Please press and hold your kindle for atleast 30 seconds.If you only hold the Power button to the right for only 5 to 10 seconds you'll just turn the unit OFF. So,you have to hold the power button to the right for at least 30 seconds.

Customer: I'm using a phone charger
MD.SADIQUE :

Please use the kindle charger.

MD.SADIQUE :

Please once again try resetting and tell me the result.

Customer: This kindle only has a button to press. It does not slide
MD.SADIQUE :

I am sorry, it was a typo.

MD.SADIQUE :

Just press and hold the power button for 30 seconds

Customer: The screen is black. Do I need to pug it in?
MD.SADIQUE :

Yes, please plug in the charger cord.

Customer: It's coming on and it doesn't seem to be charging
Customer: It is down to 1%
MD.SADIQUE :

Is the kindle under warranty ?

Customer: It says to connect charger
Customer: I am not sure.
MD.SADIQUE :

When you connect the charger it doesn't recognizes it ?

MD.SADIQUE :

What is the age of your kindle ?

MD.SADIQUE :

Has it completed one year ?

Customer: Without looking I don't know but I don't think so
MD.SADIQUE :

In that case your kindle is under warranty.

Customer: Is it a one year warranty?
MD.SADIQUE :

Yes.

MD.SADIQUE :

The most likely and common cause to this type of problem is either the battery or the charger adapter.

MD.SADIQUE :

I don't recommend looking for the battery or trying to see what the problem is in detail without help from the Kindle support team. The kindle is under warranty and they will either help you replace the battery or charger , or replace it with a new one.

MD.SADIQUE :

Free of cost.

Customer: And if it is not under warranty then what?
MD.SADIQUE :

Then tell them that you had 4 kindles and all of them suffered the same issue within such a short period of time.

MD.SADIQUE :

Many of my customers were able to repair their at free of cost.

MD.SADIQUE :

Here is the link for Kindle Service and Warranty information along with their phone number.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_kland_faq_warserv?nodeId=200144510&/lwarranty

You can contact kindle support at:

United States: 1-866-321-8851

Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927

MD.SADIQUE :

Don't worry, just contact the kindle support they will replace everything free of cost.

Customer: I'll check to see how old it is and contact them
MD.SADIQUE :

Yes.

MD.SADIQUE :

Is there anything else I can help you with ?

Customer: Thank you.
MD.SADIQUE :

Are you satisfied with my efforts ?

MD.SADIQUE :

Do I deserve a positive rating today ?

Customer: Yes.
MD.SADIQUE :

Please rate this chat to close.

Customer: Will do. Thanks again.
MD.SADIQUE :

My pleasure.

MD.SADIQUE :

Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience: Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation.