Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation with 7 yrs + hands on experience in Consumer Electronics equipments and Circuitry
22727371

I have a model pd-m423 pioneer cd changer - it thinks that

I have a model pd-m423 pioneer cd changer - it thinks that all six discs in the inserted cartridge don't exist. When started, it goes from one disc through six and says there are no discs. Seems like a program problem. How do I reset. I've tried the resets in the manuel: stop clear, eject - no luck??
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 2 years ago.

MD.SADIQUE :

Hello and thanks for your question.

MD.SADIQUE :

I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.

MD.SADIQUE :

Please send me a short message when you are online and ready to begin.

MD.SADIQUE :

What is the age of your CD-changer ?

Customer:

5 years

MD.SADIQUE :

I afraid to say the symptom indicates your unit's laser is faulty

Customer:

not customer fixable?

MD.SADIQUE :

First of all I would suggest you to clean the laser lens to see if it solves your problem.

1) Purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc and run it through the system 5-6 times.

If you want, you can buy a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc by following this link- http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-CD-DVD-Player-Laser-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00008EM7U

2) If your unit is not under warranty then try this step otherwise it will void your unit's warranty.

If the cleaning disk does not work then remove the cover of the device, you may be able to locate the laser eye clean the laser with a soft clean cue tip or a cotton bud using isopropyl alcohol.Then check with a magnifying glass for any traces of dirt.

If cleaning doesn't helps then you will have to replace the laser diode and replacing the laser diode is very expensive because it requires the entire optical pickup to be replaced and realigned.Therefore I would suggest you to please first of all enquire about the labor,installation charges etc before going for the repair because in some cases the cost of replacing the laser inside the unit will typically exceed the cost of buying a replacement unit.

Customer:

tnx

MD.SADIQUE :

Would you like to close this question at this time? I don't want to delay you unnecessarily. Again, if there's anything you would like discussed in more detail, and not necessarily only related to this question, let me know and I'll do my best.

Customer:

No, thank you.

Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience: Diploma in applied electronics and instrumentation with 7 yrs + hands on experience in Consumer Electronics equipments and Circuitry