Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri , Technician
Experience:  ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN WITH 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE
41498811

Hi, Pioneer XR -P460. Tape decks recently died together and

Hi, Pioneer XR -P460. Tape decks recently died together and now CD skips. Have used a laser cleaning disc but to no avail. Repair or dispose? but I really like the unit . . . please help Colin
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 3 years ago.
Hello Colin my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you. The problem seems to be that the laser is loosing its power. IT cane repaired but obviously at a cost and considering the age of the unit it is not very much worth it. What i suggest you do is use the unit on AUX and connect a separate MP3 / cd player. Like this you can still use the unit and not disposing of it without going through the cost of repairing it.

If you have further questions please let me know.

Noel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Noel, I'm fully aware of the AUX facility, but that's not really the way to go. If the laser is indeed losing power surely it can be repaired (isn't a laser a laser anyway)? The first part of my question was regarding the double cassette decks as both decks behave exactly the same - won't play, rewind, forward wind - just a click then nothing. What do you think Noel?

Colin

Re the cassette decks it you need to check the drive belts from inside as normally they tend to break especially if it has been idle for a long time, that should not be a big expense. As for the repair of the laser yes definitely it can be repaired as i told you earlier but you would need to consider the cost.

Noel