Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant

My Casio Wave Ceptor WVQ-140A, although it is self-setting,

Customer Question

My Casio Wave Ceptor WVQ-140A, although it is self-setting, runs consistently 10 seconds slow. Also, How do I reset it (or get it to set itself) for the correct time?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

Can you look on the BACK of your watch and send back the "code" that you find there? This is usually a 4-digit number and if often printed inside of a box.

Also, can you tell me the "general area" of the country you are - most of the time?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Ohio (Eastern time zone). Number on back of watch is 4756.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again & thanks for that information.

First, I have a link to an electronic (PDF) version of the manual for this watch for you. If you click the link below, that should appear on your screen within a few seconds. I also recommend that you save the file to your computer (desktop) for quick reference in the future.

Click Here --> Manual

Once you have that manual on your screen, you will want to look it over quickly, and then refer to page 3 at the top left to see how to set the time manually.

Now when I do this with my watches that set themselves automatically, I usually refer to either one of the other clocks that HAS found the time sync radio signal in the last day OR I look at a clock on the computer that has recently been synchronized with some standard time signal. What I did is "reset the seconds" as close as I can with the other clock.

Now for the "automatic" mode, you will want to make sure you leave the watch near a window that "faces" Colorado Springs, CO. This automatic sync usually takes place in the middle of the night (on the hour between midnight & 5AM), because of the way the radio waves propagate (travel) from the transmitter and your location. You can see the details of that at the bottom right of page 1 of the manual.

Now to ATTEMPT a manual receive of the time signal, you will want to look at the left column of page 2, under the heading "perform manual receive". There is also good detail about the signal strength just above that paragraph. And when you attempt this, do the same as you would in automatic mode. That is, place the watch in or near a window that faces Colorado Springs - on a STABLE surface - and them press and hold the "B" button in the instructions (the one at the "2" position of the watch) for about 2 seconds.

Once you do that, you will want to OBSERVE the small display to see if it changes from A0 to A3. That is the strength indicator for the received signal. As mentioned in the manual, the higher the number the better the signal can be received. The strength of this signal VARIES greatly with time of day and the weather between your location and the transmitter (in CO.), so you may want to try this at different times and different locations around your home or city. I say this because I have a similar watch, and have found a "hot spot" for receiving the signal at about 8AM (local time) - which is about a block from where I have gone for work.

If you want more detail able how all this works, I have a link to a very good site below.

Click here --> Radio Time Sync FAQ

Please give these steps a try and let me know your results. And please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

(im)

Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Engineer / Consultant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We had a hard time getting through this. I was told by a phone contact that the system doesn't work with Firefox browser. When I went to Chrome, it worked better.

Thanks for your help. How do I get a receipt for the fee?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again & thanks for letting me know that you were having trouble with FireFox. I will let the administrators know.

And you should be able to request a receipt at the following page.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thanks, Greg A.