DIYrescue
DIYrescue, Customer Service
Experience:  Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters

I have dish network and the remote for some reason wont turn

I have dish network and the remote for some reason won't turn my tv off or on and it won't let me change the volume. Maybe you can help figure it out.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Expert TV replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Does the remote that came with the tv turn the tv on and off?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it turns on with its own remote and it's only 6 months old.

Expert:  Expert TV replied 1 year ago.
Did you program the dish remote to the tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

probably not maybe thats it

Expert:  Expert TV replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes you need to program the remote to the tv before it will work.

Do you have the model number for your tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the tv is on the wall and can't get it, stupid I know

Expert:  Expert TV replied 1 year ago.
Is there a sticker on the side by chance?

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see one

Expert:  Expert TV replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find a code for that brand tv, I will opt out and see if any other experts know of one.

Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Expert:  DIYrescue replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to justanswer, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today. This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. When we are finished, you’ll rate my answer to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_______________________

First, look through the setup menu on the dish network box (using the menu button on the satellite remote). On many of the newer receivers (such as the hopper/joey) there is an on screen guide that will actually program the remote for you after answering a few questions (brand, etc). If you don't have that, let me know and we'll locate some possible IR codes for you to program it manually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

don't have that

Expert:  DIYrescue replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the IR codes that work with most Ario tv's (this is an uncommon brand, made as the store label for K-mart) are 0506 and 1004. Sorry I can't tell you exactly how to program your remote without knowing the model number of the dish box. It will be detailed in the manual that came with it though.

It is possible, however, that no matter what code is used, your remote will not be able to control the devices you wish to use it with. Cable/satellite/AV Component manufacturers include basic functionality for common devices at the time the remote is made, but are not able to provide coverage for every make and model, and are not able to update for every new device that comes out, so there is no guarantee of compatibility.

Your best option may be to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for helping

Expert:  DIYrescue replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. If you have any other questions, let me know. Otherwise, please remember to rate my service today (using the smiley faces) to close out our chat.

Thanks
DIYrescue, Customer Service
Experience: Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters