Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

I have a Casio "wave ceptor" watch. I seem to have lost the

Customer Question

I have a Casio "wave ceptor" watch. I seem to have lost the time signal receptor. The manual indicates to place the watch in a window and press the "B" button which will beep.
Doesn't happen. Can this be repaired, and whenr do I need to send it?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier, and sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your Casio.

1) Can you tell me the AGE of this watch, and when you started to notice these symptoms?

2) Can you also tell me the 4-digit number that is on the back of the watch, usually inside of a box?

3) One last thing: What do you see on the screen when you push the "B" button?

Thanks

P.S. I have a Wave Ceptor of my own and can walk you through what you can expect with this particular watch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Watch is 7 years old

2762 WVA 510a

Screen does not change is has the day of the week, month, day.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

May I ask approximately where you are located? I only ask because the reception of the time setting signal is better (or worse) at different times of the day, for different locations.

Also, are you Pressing the "B" button and holding it down - to wait for the beep?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As the manual indicated I hold down the B button

I am in NC and had no problems until recently, last month or so. It is not keeping proper time which I verify by a cell phone and another Atomic timepiece we have.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Did you get the "beep" that the manual mentions?
Can you "tap" the B button and see the last valid signal sync time & date?
Does the B button work for other functions of the watch?

What I am trying to find out is of the button is even working at all.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I mentioned in my original post when I hold down the B button nothing happens. I said "doesn't happen". As a matter of fact nothing happens when the B button is pressed, digital display doesn't change, no beep, nothing.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - from what you describe, it sounds like either the contacts within the watch module have become dirty OR broken.

I can not really recommend that you take the unit apart yourself, as these watches can be easily damaged if not handled properly, mostly in putting them back together.

So what I would really recommend is that if you want to be able to do the "manual" time sync, is to take the watch to a local "watch repair" shop, or perhaps a jeweler. I say this because I checked the price of replacing the watch with the exact same model, and it appears that these are still available, but at a price of over $300. A watch repair shop would most likely be about $30-$50.

Now there is another alternative - IF the watch still does its "automatic" time sync (successfully). That is to make sure that the watch is placed in or near a window - facing the WWVB transmitter (in Fort Collins, CO) - and leave it there each night. This is because this watch will try to "automatically" synchronize with the WWVB signal each night - usually between midnight and 5AM, depending on your time zone.

If that still works, then you should be able to do most of the other functions, as the "B" button is a minus (-) key for most other functions, and you can use the "D" button (used as plus) multiple times to get the same selections.

I know this is not a "pretty" way to have the watch function, but it is a cost effective "work around" that would save you the cost of replacement, or even repair.

I hope this helps give you a few options to get your watch functioning again for you. Please let me know what you decide, or if you have more questions.

==================================================
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided. IF you feel the need to rate less than a 3-5 level, please stop. Instead, please reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION or REPLY link/button with any further issues you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

My answer may not be "good news", but is an accurate & honest answer.
Many times the only "fix" will be to repair or replace a failed device, so please do not hold that against me.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom,

I noticed that you rated my answer as "poor service".

Can you please tell me why you would rate an honest and correct answer at that level?

Is there any more information that you need that would increase the rating?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You asked me for information that I had already provided and focused too much on the B button whcih I only mentioned in my original post because the watch is not receiving the sync signal and I had attempted the manual set only because the auto sync does not work. We did not communicate well.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

I know it can be difficult to communicate online - especially when there are hours between responses.

But I had hoped that I did provide the steps to a solution for you, and that would have rated as at least a "good service" level. If you would like to rate at a good level or better - considering that steps to a solution were provided, please feel free to do that. But if not, then that is OK too.

Take Care & good luck on the fix for the watch, Greg A.

(im)