Craig, Electrical/ Electronic Technician
Experience:  33 years troubleshooting electronic and electrical control systems for all types of equipment.

I have a 2007 Yamaha Golf Cart, Model YDRE, 48Volt. I am unable

I have a 2007 Yamaha Golf Cart, Model YDRE, 48Volt. I am unable to charge the batteries using the charger. When I plug the charger in, it goes through its checks, and the red power light stays on. When I plug it into the cart, nothing happens. Here is what I have done so far:
1. Filled all batteries with distilled water, and charged each battery individually with a trickle charger.
2. Load tested all batteries. One battery failed, so it was replaced with a new one.
3. Tried a second charger, and it will not charge the batteries either.
4. Checked fuse
5. Confirmed continuity from receptacle to the relay

The golf car will run when each battery is charged, it just will not charge using the yamaha charger.

How do I confirm the relay is functional, and the control module is functional?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.

Craig :

I highly suspect a bad termination or cable connection at one of the jumpers that connects the batteries in there configuration for series/parallel to obtain the desired output voltage for the carts 48 volts. If one of the terminals is loose or bad, you loose the whole string. This would prevent the charge circuit from charging. What is the output rating 48 volts DC? Using a DC volt meter, check the voltage at the main output and see if it's correct. That would be a starting point. If it's correct, it could still be a connection Tug and wiggle each wire jumper wire at the connection and post, looking for a loose wire either on the post, or in the terminal.

Craig :

Let me know what your finding are and we'll go from there.

Craig :

How many batteries are there?

Craig :

What is each battery rated voltage?

Craig :

You could have one of these connections to get the 48 volts, depending on whether they use 12 or 6 volt batteries:

Craig :

All it will take is one bad connection

Craig :

at one of the jumpers

Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Sorry the chat page is not working very well. Please ask questions if you need more help
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks Craig. It wasn't a loose connection, the previous owner had reversed the positive and negative wires that go from the receptacle to the batteries. Your answer steered me in the right direction, so thank you.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX please accept my answer, thanks
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.